When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removing rotten rubber from old rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Shannonc

Look Ma, No Hands!
Any tips for a newbie trying to get the crusty bits of old tires and tubes off a rim? Had to cut the tire off and it was a shame. Hurts me to do so but I had if I ever want to ride this bike. It had a U.S. Royal Master Centipede Grip on the front but it was toast. The back tire is so far gone you can't even read a name. It looks like soup boiling over in places. Any help figuring out an easier way to get the old stuff off would be appreciated. Right now I am just chipping away at it with a small chisel but thought one of you pros would have a better way.

I like a heat gun and a putty knife for this. After the rubber pieces are gone, if you have gunk/residue, I use some acetone on that.

a little heat will do the trick.

Attachments

• downloadvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg
    downloadvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 109
Last time I dealt with that, I didn't want to spend the time required to pick the rim clean, so I soaked it with WD-40 and walked away from it for a day or two. Came off easily, when I got back to it.

Last time I dealt with that, I didn't want to spend the time required to pick the rim clean, so I soaked it with WD-40 and walked away from it for a day or two. Came off easily, when I got back to it.

Did you put the wheel in some kind of tank or just spray the WD-40? Reason I ask is if you soaked it in a tank, that must have taken a lot of WD-40!
I have come across many wheels with tires melted onto the rim and it sure has been a pain to remove all the solidified rubber.

Just doused it with a good thorough spray, and then put it in a trash bag so I wouldn't have to clean the floor afterwards .

Last edited:
Back