When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removing rotten rubber from old rims

-

Shannonc

Look Ma, No Hands!
Any tips for a newbie trying to get the crusty bits of old tires and tubes off a rim? Had to cut the tire off and it was a shame. Hurts me to do so but I had if I ever want to ride this bike. It had a U.S. Royal Master Centipede Grip on the front but it was toast. The back tire is so far gone you can't even read a name. It looks like soup boiling over in places. Any help figuring out an easier way to get the old stuff off would be appreciated. Right now I am just chipping away at it with a small chisel but thought one of you pros would have a better way.

I like a heat gun and a putty knife for this. After the rubber pieces are gone, if you have gunk/residue, I use some acetone on that.

a little heat will do the trick.

Attachments

• downloadvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg
    downloadvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 108
Last time I dealt with that, I didn't want to spend the time required to pick the rim clean, so I soaked it with WD-40 and walked away from it for a day or two. Came off easily, when I got back to it.

Last time I dealt with that, I didn't want to spend the time required to pick the rim clean, so I soaked it with WD-40 and walked away from it for a day or two. Came off easily, when I got back to it.

Did you put the wheel in some kind of tank or just spray the WD-40? Reason I ask is if you soaked it in a tank, that must have taken a lot of WD-40!
I have come across many wheels with tires melted onto the rim and it sure has been a pain to remove all the solidified rubber.

Just doused it with a good thorough spray, and then put it in a trash bag so I wouldn't have to clean the floor afterwards .

Last edited:
Back