When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Spec For Wheel Spokes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Anyone have a Schwinn catalog or parts book that could tell me the length of spokes from the Sturmey Archer 3 speed to a Schwinn S7 26 x 1-3/4 rim? Some of their middleweights used a Sturmey Archer to S7 combo. Looking to build a wheel with a 3 speed to S7 rim.

spokes

I don't have a book, but I have an S7 with a Sturmey hub laced in that I could measure. If no one comes up with an answer, I will dig it out.

Spoke Question

My 1970 Schwinn spoke chart shows 10-3/8" spokes for a 3 cross lacing pattern. I think it was Geoff (Greenephantom) that indicated that you could use 10-5/8" spokes for a 4 cross lacing pattern for just about any hub in an S-7 rim.

Rick d.

That sounds fairly close. 10-3/8 is 264mm and spoke calc gave me 266mm, so within a size or so.

I was unaware of the 10-5/8 cross four trick. Has anyone else tried this?

This wheel is a massive pain. The stock spokes were 10-1/2 inches, so you would think they'd be close enough to get to go cross-3 with a nipple washer, but they're way too long even for that. They're also way too short for cross-4. The hub is a Sturmey Archer SRC3 (the site lists it as being basically the same as the AW shell) and rim is an S7. Spoke calc's numbers don't seem right either. Anyone have an actual, off-a-wheel spoke measurement for SA to S7?

Last edited:
Spoke Length

Could not find any middleweight wheels larger than 20" with this hub.

Shows as a 3 speed Stingray or Fair Lady with the 3 speed using the same spoke length as the regular Bendix coaster hub.

Shows as a 3 speed Speedster or Breeze in a 26" wheel (lightweight) again using same spoke length as the coaster brake version.

The 26" middleweight coaster wheels use a 10 19/32" spoke so I think the Sturmey 3 should use the same length.

If no 10 19/32" spokes are available to you, check with Gary Wold gwlw7272 on Ebay.

Good luck!

26" S7 3 speed

Here you go.
20141020_200533.jpg
20141020_200503.jpg

Back