When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Sport 650b retrofit?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ranger Dan

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone tell me if a 650b wheel with a 42mm tire will clear the chainstays on a ('70s era) Schwinn Super Sport?

Also, what would be the brake reach requirement for such a setup?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

The brakes will never reach. They will just reach a 700c/622 rim if that helps any. I also doubt if the fork is wide enough. The Chicago SSs came with 32mm tires. Roger

Last edited:
The brakes will never reach. They will just reach a 700c/622 rim if that helps any. I also doubt if the fork is wide enough. The Chicago SSs came with 32mm tires. Roger

Thanks for the reply, Roger. Yeah, the original brakes clearly won't reach a 650b, but I've got a pair of Tektro R559 that reach to 73mm, and was hoping to employ them in this hypothetical build.

I gave away my last SS to my niece, otherwise I'd slap some wheels on it to find out, but I seem to recall that the limiting factor is the chainstay width. However, with the shorter wheel, the clearance widens as the stays diverge, so I'm thinking it just might work.

As to the issue of front fork clearance, would anyone have a SS on which they could measure the fork width inside dimension?

Thanks, folks!

Back