When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christmas 1964

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Scoots

On Training Wheels
New poster here with your quiz of the day! :D

Christmas morning of 1964 I received a new 26" bicycle and so did my friend across the street, David. Both of our bikes were red and I think they both had "tanks". One of us had a JC Higgins (Sears brand) and the other a Hawthorne (Wards brand). My bike had a Bendix 2 speed kick back brake with 3 red bands around the rear hub - see photo:

Bendix 2 speed.jpg

Which brand of bike did I have and do you know if it was named a particular model??? :confused:

thinking it was a Hawthorne, because your buddies JCHiggins didn't use Bendix's... Deluxe?

Last edited:
scoots, you must be my age.....
Welcome to the CABE!
Thanks for the welcome and the reply.
I thought I had the Hawthorne, but I wasn't sure. My dad inherited the bike after I left for the Marines. I had "chopped it out" sometime around '68 with a banana seat and ape hanger handle bars - my dad loved it, made for easy riding for him. Anyway, sometime in the early 80's my mom sold it at a garage sale, as my dad's arthritis had progressed too far. :(

I think the 64 sears spaceliner came with a 2 speed bendix hub. I have a 64 deluxe spaceliner with a 1 speed bendix hub with one stripe.

Ric

With 2 speed, light, and speedo comes to about $64!!!!

While we long for the "good old days," an online inflation calculator says that's about $482 today! I had a part time job at W.T.Grants for $1.15 / hour in 1964!

Inflation

While we long for the "good old days," an online inflation calculator says that's about $482 today
Well, sort of.. The calculator uses a 1.7% cost of inflation as an average. Somethings may apply while others may not. IE: in 1969 a SS Camaro or Mach I was in the $3,500 range plus or minus a little, which would calculate to $27,200 in todays money. Good luck with that, closer to $40,000 doing comparable equipment.

Well, sort of.. The calculator uses a 1.7% cost of inflation as an average. Somethings may apply while others may not. IE: in 1969 a SS Camaro or Mach I was in the $3,500 range plus or minus a little, which would calculate to $27,200 in todays money. Good luck with that, closer to $40,000 doing comparable equipment.

Actually, all things being equal, 27 grand is correct. Don't forget the modern car has crap the 60-70's cars never had, air bags, nav, heated seats, 7-10 speaker audio, sirrus, traction control, all wheel drive, on-star, climate control, ambient lighting etc...etc.... All that modern crap adds big $$$$

Actually, all things being equal, 27 grand is correct. Don't forget the modern car has crap the 60-70's cars never had, air bags, nav, heated seats, 7-10 speaker audio, sirrus, traction control, all wheel drive, on-star, climate control, ambient lighting etc...etc.... All that modern crap adds big $$$$
Actually I had a typo....using the calculator it's $22,700.... No dispute, In the 60's you didn't have the choices like todays cars with package A B or C that includes things you may or may not want....The point is you couldn't come close to buying a 5.0 GT or SS Camaro for the equivalent in 1969 money.

Back