When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You're my only hope!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Shane

On Training Wheels
I've been trying to identify this tricycle for some time now.
I've been through probably every image on Tricycle Fetish, and most of the threads here with no luck, so I'm joining up, and posting some pics in the hopes that someone knows what I've got here! :)

I've seen many of the features this trike has on other trikes, but not all of them on one.

I've tried to get pictures of what I feel are the "defining" features, the only other significant pieces of info that the pics might not show is,
-all of the nuts are square nuts
-all of the screws are flat head
-original paint appears to have been red, with possible white markings, and a black pinstripe on the fender

It was found in a barn in Western Ohio, owned by one family since the early 1900's so we assume they bought it.
None of the current living family members know anything about the bike, only that it was seen from time to time up in the loft over the past 30 years.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated! :)

Attachments

• TR1.jpg
    TR1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 209
  • TR2.jpg
    TR2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 205
  • TR3.jpg
    TR3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 214
  • TR5.jpg
    TR5.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 204
  • TR6.jpg
    TR6.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 208
  • TR7.jpg
    TR7.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 215
  • TR4.jpg
    TR4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 196
Very cool

I THINK that style of hub how it crimps over the spokes is American National/Gendron... Toldeo O

Thanks for the reply!

I had narrowed it down in my mind to a few possible makes, American National being one, Taylor being another.
It's so frustrating to see so many different brands, and not one of them has enough in common with this one to help make a more definite identification.

The goal is to sell it, but I don't feel I can do that comfortably without knowing what it is within 75% certainty.
I've seen them in this condition going from $50 up to several hundred dollars based on who made it.

I'd hate to let a gem go at a rock price simply because I didn't do enough research!

Thanks again for your help! It's given me a more narrow field to focus my search on! :)

Shane, it may be a Garton. Check out this thread and photos on a similar tricycle - http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...cle-1932-Streamline&highlight=garton+tricycle - go down to my post #18 and click on the link I provided. On that link page scroll down about 2/3 of the way to the Garton catalog page. The nose and rear step pads on yours are dead ringers for that Garton model. The seat design on one of those two Garton trikes shown also matches yours, except for the spring style which could vary between years. The rear part of the frame just doesn't seem to match and honestly appears a bit unusual in design for a trike of that vintage.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks ridingtoy!

I was pretty certain that the hub/ spoke retention design was Gendron/american national...I learn something new every day!

Excellent!!

You have both been a tremendous help!! :D

If the one you linked to had the same single tube rear frame, it would almost be the same trike!

Would you think it to be a 1930's model based on the many similar features, or perhaps earlier because of the frame design?

Thank you so much once again!!

Last edited:
"Very Rare 1937 Streamform cast aluminum tricycle"

GARTON Looks really close check it out on tricyclefetish.com

tricyclefetish.com pic

close but not there yet

Attachments

• garton76.jpg
    garton76.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 118
Would you think it to be a 1930's model based on the many similar features, or perhaps earlier because of the frame design?

I'm thinking anywhere from mid-1930s to around 1940. The streamlined style started dominating tricycle design around the mid-1930s. That rear connection between axle and main frame tube is still puzzling to me. Wish I could find some more info on that design. Most rear tube connections back then have the frame extending through the rear axle a bit.

Dave

Back