When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Sports Tourer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Euphman06

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
A few questions... I just picked up a February 1973 Sports tourer serial number BJ808088. It's red... according to the ads I read, red wasn't available in '73. Sunset Orange, Yellow, and Blue. What's up with that? I don't know much about these "modern" bikes since I'm a 30s-50s ballooner guy, but from what I'm reading the Sports Tourer is a step below the paramount so I assume it's a pretty decent bike. It's ridable as it sits, but it does need some cleaning up, wheel trueing. Any helpful info on this bike is appreciated, thanks!

I had a Schwinn 3 speed collegiate that was built as a 1979 model collegiate. the sturmey archer hub was dated 79' and the paint job was black. However, the frame itself was date 78' but I know it was a 79' model as black was not offered in 78'. I know my frame was a late build I think November of 78 so it made sense it was a 79 model.

Two things may have caused this color on your bike:
1. for some reason it was not painted and sold until 74' when red was offered.
2. Schwinn would do anything the customer wanted, the original owner may have paid Schwinn extra to paint his bike red at the time.

Hope this helps!

Looks like you have a 74 model. The ST frame is one that had big time spans from serial number dates to actual build dates. Hopefully Metacortex with chime in and answer any questions and fill you in on all the details.

If the bike is Opaque Red then it is definitely a '74, which was the only year that color was offered on the Sports Tourer. Schwinn built Sports Tourer frames in batches and stored frames for months to even years before painting and building them into bikes. The components on the Sports Tourer changed over the years, if you post pics (the more and closer the better) I may be able to identify the components and their vintage.

If the bike is Opaque Red then it is definitely a '74, which was the only year that color was offered on the Sports Tourer. Schwinn built Sports Tourer frames in batches and stored frames for months to even years before painting and building them into bikes. The components on the Sports Tourer changed over the years, if you post pics (the more and closer the better) I may be able to identify the components and their vintage.

Sweet... a one year only color:cool: I'll get pictures tomorrow. I think the rear derailleur is labeled as a Schwinn Le Tour, but I'd have to look again...

I think the rear derailleur is labeled as a Schwinn Le Tour, but I'd have to look again...

That would be a GT300 Le Tour, which was undoubtedly the best derailleur ever to wear the Schwinn name. It was a rebadged Shimano Crane GS and was used on the Sports Tourer from '73 through '75, and on the Superior (Sports Tourer replacement) in '76. It was also used on other high-end Schwinns around that time including the World Voyageur/Voyageur II, Paramount P15 and Paramount Tandem.

Those were good derailleurs. "Made in Japan" was derided as "junk" for many years, but only the cheapest stuff was truly junk. The better parts that Shimano made were perfectly fine in quality and functioned quite well, whether sold under Le Tour or the Crane name.

Thanks for the info guys! One more question... what was the stock saddle on this baby? I thought I remember reading a Brooks B15, is that correct?

Back