When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just acquired 1949 B6 - Suggestions/Thoughts would be appreciated

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TJW

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just acquired a 1949 Schwinn B6. This is my first vintage bike. I bought this one because it looked like the 1949 Schwinn B6 bike that I purchased new in 1949 when I was 12 years old.

It came from California and it rides just like a new 1949 Schwinn bike. It is fast and very smooth.

It appears to be original except for some amateur paint work in various places:
1. Front part and lower back part of front fender
2. Forks
3. Lower back part of rear fender
4. Chain Guard
5. Front fender light cover

It has a Persons seat that appears to be original and in pretty good shape. The pedals appear to be SCHWINN originals. It may even have its original TYPHOON tires, on original S-2 rims.

The biggest question mark is what should I do about the rear rack.

The bike had its original maroon rack up until a few months ago.

For some reason, the person I bought the bike from had the original maroon rack, u-brace, struts, and brackets chromed, a very nice first class chrome job.

Here are some pictures:

1. Picture of bike with its original maroon rack.
2. Picture of bike with the chromed rack.
3. Picture of bike with no rack
4. Miscellaneous pictures

I would appreciate suggestions/thoughts as to what I should do about the rack.

Also, should I replace the tires (I will only be riding this bike for short distances, maybe a mile or so at a time, in my neighborhood.

Any other thought or comments about the overall quality of the bike.

Thanks--

[email protected]

Attachments

• P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 277
  • P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 00T0T_lMyCkfnduWC_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_lMyCkfnduWC_600x450.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5371.jpg
    IMG_5371.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_5373.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 252
  • p1010031.jpg
    p1010031.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 258
  • p1010034.jpg
    p1010034.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 275
Great looking bike. Solid score.

Kind of a bummer about the rear rack, but at the same time, it's nice looking chrome. I'd be inclined to leave it for now and see how you feel about it in a few months. You could always put out feelers for a replacement rack with the same color of original paint. If you found just the right rack it would look original.

Cheers, Geoff

A beauty :cool:
I like the look of the bike w/o rack. I'd put new tires (probably black Fat Franks) on and store the originals.

Here's what I would do, use the rack as trade bait for a nice maroon one, all the re-painted areas, just distress them a bit to match the rest of the bike. Buy a second set of wheels/tires and enjoy riding the old gal. :)

Beautiful bike...... I would be patient and look for a matching color rack with the right patina..... I think the original seat would have been tan with the behive springs. To have a bike just like one you bought 65 years ago is special.

Great bike. I like Bri's idea to use the chrome rack as trade bait for original maroon. Nice chrome job. Just out of place on that bike. I think the seat would have originally been a Mesinger rather than persons. I would put a set of Royal Chain tread whitewall repop tires on it and ride away. Looks good!

Last edited:
nice bike,i would be a player for that killer chrome rack when u find a gennie,thanks AJ

Thanks--

Great looking bike. Solid score.

Kind of a bummer about the rear rack, but at the same time, it's nice looking chrome. I'd be inclined to leave it for now and see how you feel about it in a few months. You could always put out feelers for a replacement rack with the same color of original paint. If you found just the right rack it would look original.

Cheers, Geoff

I've been looking high and low for a maroon six-hole rack. Hopefully one will turn up.

Here's what I would do, use the rack as trade bait for a nice maroon one, all the re-painted areas, just distress them a bit to match the rest of the bike. Buy a second set of wheels/tires and enjoy riding the old gal. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking high and low for a maroon rack. I would really like to find a maroon rack and see what it looks like before parting with the chrome rack. But, if I could find a maroon rack that looked good, I'm sure I would end up selling the chromed rack.

Back