When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just acquired 1949 B6 - Suggestions/Thoughts would be appreciated

-

TJW

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just acquired a 1949 Schwinn B6. This is my first vintage bike. I bought this one because it looked like the 1949 Schwinn B6 bike that I purchased new in 1949 when I was 12 years old.

It came from California and it rides just like a new 1949 Schwinn bike. It is fast and very smooth.

It appears to be original except for some amateur paint work in various places:
1. Front part and lower back part of front fender
2. Forks
3. Lower back part of rear fender
4. Chain Guard
5. Front fender light cover

It has a Persons seat that appears to be original and in pretty good shape. The pedals appear to be SCHWINN originals. It may even have its original TYPHOON tires, on original S-2 rims.

The biggest question mark is what should I do about the rear rack.

The bike had its original maroon rack up until a few months ago.

For some reason, the person I bought the bike from had the original maroon rack, u-brace, struts, and brackets chromed, a very nice first class chrome job.

Here are some pictures:

1. Picture of bike with its original maroon rack.
2. Picture of bike with the chromed rack.
3. Picture of bike with no rack
4. Miscellaneous pictures

I would appreciate suggestions/thoughts as to what I should do about the rack.

Also, should I replace the tires (I will only be riding this bike for short distances, maybe a mile or so at a time, in my neighborhood.

Any other thought or comments about the overall quality of the bike.

Thanks--

[email protected]

Attachments

• P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 277
  • P1010041.jpg
    P1010041.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 00T0T_lMyCkfnduWC_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_lMyCkfnduWC_600x450.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5371.jpg
    IMG_5371.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_5373.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 252
  • p1010031.jpg
    p1010031.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 258
  • p1010034.jpg
    p1010034.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 275
Great looking bike. Solid score.

Kind of a bummer about the rear rack, but at the same time, it's nice looking chrome. I'd be inclined to leave it for now and see how you feel about it in a few months. You could always put out feelers for a replacement rack with the same color of original paint. If you found just the right rack it would look original.

Cheers, Geoff

A beauty :cool:
I like the look of the bike w/o rack. I'd put new tires (probably black Fat Franks) on and store the originals.

Here's what I would do, use the rack as trade bait for a nice maroon one, all the re-painted areas, just distress them a bit to match the rest of the bike. Buy a second set of wheels/tires and enjoy riding the old gal. :)

Beautiful bike...... I would be patient and look for a matching color rack with the right patina..... I think the original seat would have been tan with the behive springs. To have a bike just like one you bought 65 years ago is special.

Great bike. I like Bri's idea to use the chrome rack as trade bait for original maroon. Nice chrome job. Just out of place on that bike. I think the seat would have originally been a Mesinger rather than persons. I would put a set of Royal Chain tread whitewall repop tires on it and ride away. Looks good!

Last edited:
nice bike,i would be a player for that killer chrome rack when u find a gennie,thanks AJ

Thanks--

Great looking bike. Solid score.

Kind of a bummer about the rear rack, but at the same time, it's nice looking chrome. I'd be inclined to leave it for now and see how you feel about it in a few months. You could always put out feelers for a replacement rack with the same color of original paint. If you found just the right rack it would look original.

Cheers, Geoff

I've been looking high and low for a maroon six-hole rack. Hopefully one will turn up.

Here's what I would do, use the rack as trade bait for a nice maroon one, all the re-painted areas, just distress them a bit to match the rest of the bike. Buy a second set of wheels/tires and enjoy riding the old gal. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking high and low for a maroon rack. I would really like to find a maroon rack and see what it looks like before parting with the chrome rack. But, if I could find a maroon rack that looked good, I'm sure I would end up selling the chromed rack.

Back