When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Schwinn American

• Thread starter Ronn's Vintage Bikes
  • Start date
#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
R

Ronn's Vintage Bikes

Just picked this up on FeBay for $150.00.
Check out the front caliper brake. Also a 2 speed manual bendix hub. This bike came stock this way. Don't see this front very often.

Attachments

• 57 American.JPG
    57 American.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 674
Great Deal!

Sweet bike,You out bid me for that one! I wasn't paying attention towards the end. I'll bet it rides like new. Good for you!

Pat

57 Jag

Sorry Pat, I though it went too easy. I know how that not paying attention thing goes! Ronn

The bolt-on front brakes came stock on the 2 speed Americans for several years in the 1950s. A neat thing to be sure, and a pretty desirable accessory.
Cheers, Geoff

Nice bike! Is there a cable hanger sticking out from the headset? I'd appreciate it if you could post a picture of that. I have a set of brakes, a bike, but no hanger.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew. I am still waiting for the bike. Should get before weeks end. Here is the item # for ebay ( 260461034824). There is several photos of the brake system but I will post better photos when the bike arrives. Ronn

Thanks for the auction ID! If you could post a picture of the cable hanger when it rolls in I would appreciate it.

Found a set on ebay #: 290343478253. Some interesting photos. Hope mine has all those signatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, these didn't have a cable hanger. The brake cable for these bikes is a special-made unit that is self-contained, pretty clever, and now quite hard to find. Think these might have come with a wire clip to keep the cable from flopping around too much.
Cheers, Geoff

Back