When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome! Where to go for rechroming...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A

antiquecycles

I recently bought a 39 Rollfast long tank and since it had been brush painted and there was no hope of saving its authenticity I decided to re do it. Notice I said "re do" and not restore? So dont bag on the final outcome

Anywho, the parts that were suppose to be chrome had been pitted and repainted over time. I decided to have them re chromed. There are only a few places in Ca that do good chroming. The EPA has restricted the process and chemicals so much that these shops have to charge outrageous prices to stay in business. I found that out when I was quoted near $500 for my parts.
Needless to say, I looked elsewhere.

I forget where but I read a link on another forum that suggested The Chrome Shop in Rock Island, Ill. I contacted the owner, Doug. He gave me a great price so I mailed the parts.
It took about a month to get them back due to USPS but I got OUTSTANDING quality, super low price and great service!

All parts with shipping both ways was $200
chroming.jpg

This is where I will send my parts from now on:

Doug Matheson
[email protected]
The Chrome Shop Inc.
A Division of Berge Plating Works, Inc.
617 25th Ave.
Rock Island, IL. 61201
309-786-3743
309-788-2831
888-696-2526

Last edited by a moderator:
great post thanks for the reference

It's post like these I like and the fact that you actually used them even better.
Thanks!

Damn, you're good!

Ok, so I forgot to include the truss nuts. (Good catch)

I am surprised you didnt say anything about the crank nuts. Yes, I forgot those too!

I didnt remove the stem nut when I shipped it. When I got the parts back it was included separately. It was coated but doesnt look as if it was prepped. All threads are still smooth.

The only flaw I could see out of the lot was on the back side of the sprocket. It had a small amount of pitting in a small area. It wont be noticeable.

This place has been advertising since the 90's about specializing in doing antique bike parts. They also sell on ebay replated parts for a good price. Im going to try them next since the place in CT i used to use closed down.

http://proctorsmetalfinishing.net/

Back