When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many yrs did they make the Schwinn Cruiser?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

DonChristie

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
Im talking about the 70/80s "Cruiser". Looking for a Girls model and they seem to be quite unavailable.

Attachments

• 1981_schwinn cruiser 25.jpg
    1981_schwinn cruiser 25.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 300
Here's the Cruiser timeline as I have it so far, please add or correct information as necessary:

Late 1976 - California Cruiser introduced with 26" S2 Balloon wheels and tires
1977 - California Cruiser renamed Spitfire*
Late 1978 - Klunker 5 introduced w/drum brake, Spitfire renamed Klunker
1979 - Klunker/Klunker 5 renamed Spitfire/Spitfire 5, 24" wheel Spitfire introduced
1980 - Spitfire/Spitfire 5 renamed Cruiser/Cruiser 5, Deluxe Cruiser (springer) and Ladies' Cruiser introduced
1981 - Deluxe Cruiser (springer) discontinued
1982 - 20" wheel Cruiser introduced, Cruiser 5 and 20"/24" wheel Cruisers discontinued
1983 - Cruiser changed to tubular BMX style fork, Ladies' model discontinued
1984 - Cruiser 5 re-introduced w/o drum brake, Cruiser/Cruiser 5 made by Murray in TN
1985 - Cruiser/Cruiser 5 Men's and Ladies' models re-introduced, made in Taiwan
1986+ - Don't care enough to persue further!

*The California Cruiser name was owned and successfully legally challenged by Larry McNeely of Recycled Cycles in Newport Beach, California.

Good info, Meta! No wonder i was confused! Lol. So this girls cruiser is a 2 yr only? Damn, good luck finding one! Larry mcneely is Gertrudes son? I remember hearing this story.

i have one

Im talking about the 70/80s "Cruiser". Looking for a Girls model and they seem to be quite unavailable.

I've got a black 1980 girls frame, fork, and chainguard if that helps.I'd be willing to sell...im in the la harbor area

Kinda wanted a complete but...paint any good? I found one in Maywood i am gonna go see tonite. I will pm ya.

Let me know if you find any extras. I just acquired an '84 Cruiser 5 for myself and I'd like to find something similar for my wife.

Thanks,
Ed

Good info, Meta! No wonder i was confused! Lol. So this girls cruiser is a 2 yr only?

In my timeline when it says "discontinued" it means at the end of that model year. I have the Chicago built Ladies' models as being available from '80 through '83, meaning 4 model years total. For '83 the Cruisers had the BMX style tubular fork, which really looks out of place on those bikes to me. I think the 5-speed versions with the rear Atom drum brake are especially desirable, but those were Men's models only.

Ok, so 3 yrs only with the blade fork. Should be easy to find, lol. Actually i found a 1980 im going to look at tonite. Thanks Meta!

Rivnut-im not buying sickdogs frame/fork n guard. Hit him up!

The Cruiser was made at least thru the 1996 model year. In 1996 there was also the Deluxe Cruiser made with some of the left over Phantom parts. A full dressed tanker with springer and rear carrier.

Attachments

• 1996_Cnsmr_49.jpg
    1996_Cnsmr_49.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 1993_Cnsmr_28.jpg
    1993_Cnsmr_28.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 1992_cc_Cruisers.jpg
    1992_cc_Cruisers.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 350
Back