When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oilzum Porcelin Sign FOR SALE

-
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Considering where I got this and the weight/gauge and look of this sign, I can confidently say it is an original piece when Oilzum was still in business, although the exact vintage is unknown.
I am not a sign expert by any means, there are repros of this on ebay I have compared it against, but this stands apart and has the look of quality and age.
The back has a grainy texture to it and there is a faint maker's mark.
It's around 12 inches in diameter, maybe a little bigger, I'll update later.
130.00 shipped
Chris
DSCN0540.jpg
DSCN0541.jpg
DSCN0542.jpg
DSCN0543.jpg
DSCN0544.jpg

Sorry an absolute repop, Andey Rooney was the biggest reproduction sign maker and this one still has his stamp, many on ebay will have the name scratched off or "accidently" chipped in that spot.
nearly EVERY 12" porcelain sign on ebay is a reproduction so BEWARE, it is just not a common size for an original, most original pump signs were 10"
On ebay greedy sellers are buying these for $9.99 and chipping and rusting them then advertising them as originals and getting 200-300 for them, funny when you look at there other items they have 20-12" signs with nearly identical chips.

Thanks for the identification.
I am very surprised and disappointed, but should get my investment back or I don't mind keeping it.
If you saw the garage where I acquired it, there were no indications the previous owner would have a fake amongst all the old stuff, nothing was really displayed.
It was a honey hole of an estate sale that had to be broken up in 2 weekends, each as packed.
I'll recover on the back end, but I can add signs as reproductions I have been duped on (+black Americana, glassware, primitive iron, and a katana)...I need to stick with bikes I guess.
Chris

Very common to find them in barns/garages now, They have been widely reproduced since the 80's.

Gotta watch out at estate sales. Dealers often add items like this to those honey hole sales to take advantage of the feeding frenzy.

I have a repop Pontiac sign from about 1985,a novice (like me) could mistake it for a gennie .

Last edited:
Sorry an absolute repop, Andey Rooney was the biggest reproduction sign maker and this one still has his stamp, many on ebay will have the name scratched off or "accidently" chipped in that spot.
nearly EVERY 12" porcelain sign on ebay is a reproduction so BEWARE, it is just not a common size for an original, most original pump signs were 10"
On ebay greedy sellers are buying these for $9.99 and chipping and rusting them then advertising them as originals and getting 200-300 for them, funny when you look at there other items they have 20-12" signs with nearly identical chips.

Good advise here!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back