When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rim Color of 1955 Girld Hornet?

-

Dan West

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi All,

I am refinishing a 1955 girls hornet with 26 inch S-7 rims. Where they originally white or the ivory color used on the frame?

Thanks,

Dan

Heres a comparison....

And heres my '56. I'd really like to find a mate to this one. I cant remember seeing a boys M/W that year.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 104
And heres my '56. I'd really like to find a mate to this one. I cant remember seeing a boys M/W that year.

Yep that is the color it was and will be soon. I bought some stencils for the frame and wheels, the instructions said to paint S-7 rims white but I really think the ones I stripped were ivory. I was thinking maybe it had yellowed so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the pics, they'll help me a bunch!

Dan

Can you post the serial number on your Hornet? Your question on the SBF was not completely answered due to dating info.

I'm not sure what that number is, but it's not a 55 serial number. :confused: The number should be in the left rear dropout just above the axle nut.

Just as I thought. The serial number was recorded late in the year, 11/1/55, so the bike without a doubt is a 1956 model. The serial number's date code is not the date the bike was built and I'd guess yours was actually built right after the first of the year. The Hornet was offered only as a ballooner for 1955, but for 1956 it was offered as a ballooner, boys only (Deluxe Hornet D19, with springer) and a middleweight (Hornet F15, with truss rods). It was only offered as a middleweight for the girls in 1956, model # F65.

Hi All,

I am refinishing a 1955 girls hornet with 26 inch S-7 rims. Where they originally white or the ivory color used on the frame?

Thanks,

Dan

Ive a 48, same colors and all I did was moreover insto-quicky touching up on it..

Was a field find and purtty rusty. No, make that very rusty! . I cleaned the rust out of the paint with a toilet bowl cleaner,, and then rinsed it several time with distilled water..

But, super low budget job, while testing paints, I had a can of antique white and wiped it on the sides of the rims.. also hit a little of the frame's white too. very tin amounts, lightly rubbed on with cloth.

That was about 10-12 year ago,, no way pristine, ,, didn't match exactly, but ya gotta look close to tell, nor would the exact same color, .but gave it some nice new, "used" life and, considering the age of rims here's how it looks this year.

Also had a local paint store make a quart of the green which didn't match, "exactly" but,, I thinned it out and rubbed a thin layer over the bad areas of the green.

Gave it to my daughter for xmas and it was instant love. I.E. it aint just sat all that time.

P9180101.jpg

Last edited:
Back