When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Dana Transmission Shifter

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TRM

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I was asked to post some pictures of the shift linkage that I made to replace the original cable shift for a Dana 3 speed transmission on my Raceliner bike.

Here are some pictures and a brief explanation of what's going on.

This is how the tranny looked when I opened it up to rebuild it.
The boss for the original cable shift is made of plastic. It's the white plastic piece in this picture:
100_6520_zps29282be5-1.jpg

I didn't feel that attaching something directly to the plastic would hold up over time, so I made what is essentially a socket to fit over the plastic shaft. It just so happened that the top of the seat tube that I had cut from the frame was just the right size and even had a collar on it that saved me a step.
shiftercoupling_zpsa8bab899-1.jpg

50b094f252de4ea98110657adf7abb83_zps1a27-1.jpg

Next, I fabricated a bridge piece to hold the 'socket' in place and allow it to turn.
shiiftboss_zps376f7467-1.jpg

Everything up to this point was designed to give me a metal shaft in place of a plastic shaft to connect the linkage. Then, after a lot of playing with the geometry to make the longer shifter movement work with the shorter shaft rotation, I made a lever mount for connecting a heim joint.
d72d0a4ab26d475493276368fd146f76_zps4dd1-1.jpg

To finish the linkage, I mounted the shift arm (originally a Ford column shifter) with an opposing lever mount welded to it, and connected the two points with a connecting rod made from a piece of stainless brake tubing.
100_7679_zps6d917e13-1.jpg

851038389327460a83d70f09da31431b_zpsb357-1.jpg

100_7901_zpsc61d28ea-1.jpg

In the end, it shifts very easy and smooth!
100_7998_zps6dcfe4c1-1.jpg

You have skills... I notice the additional sprocket at the bottom bracket seems to be connected to the speedometer, and I assume it is there to adjust the chain line as well???

You have skills... I notice the additional sprocket at the bottom bracket seems to be connected to the speedometer, and I assume it is there to adjust the chain line as well???
Thanks Joel. Yes, it is to adjust the chain line but also to drive the tachometer. Just for fun, I converted a speedometer into a tachometer. By using the chain to drive the gauge, it only reads the RPMs of the pedals. If you're coasting down a hill, it goes to zero unlike a wheel driven speedometer.

Here's the gauge face:
100_7940_zps6763cafe.jpg

That is so bad ass! Man, I've been playing with bikes for ages, never knew of a transmission...mad skills bro, dig everything about yer build!

Amazing build! I love the tachometer and the stick shift on the Dana. I just picked up a Dana 3 Speed here in Pittsburgh two days ago and can't wait to mount it and see if it is working.

Back