When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Charlie Grayson Mayor of Balboa

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

markivpedalpusher

Riding a '41 Autocycle Super Deluxe
Charlie Grayson Honorary Mayor of Balboa Peninsula passed away yesterday morning.

A dear friend and gift to all who knew him.
He willed be missed by many...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419002421.689576.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419002439.155639.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419002470.825880.jpg

The passing of Charlie Grayson.

I know, that this won't mean much to the rest of the cycling community out there, but here in Southern California, Charlie Grayson was a fixture on the coastal cycling scene.
Unfortunately, Charlie pssed away yesterday, and that has left a lot of us here in So,Cal. feeling a little hollow.

Charlie was kind of a Fisher King of sorts. He just showed up one day, and never left.
None of us really knew a lot about him, but we always appreciated his presence.

I had heard that he grew up in Foster care in San Bernardino, California, and one day he decided to make the 100 mile ride down to Newport Beach on his bicycle.
The story goes, that once he arrived, he liked what he found, and he never went back.
I don't know when that happened, but I'm 54 years old now, and I can't remember a time that Charlie was not riding around down at the beach.
He took odd jobs working at the various bike shops in the area, so he quickly became the go to guy in the local cycling community. I like to say, whether its true or not, that the Balloon Tire bicycle craze was born on the beaches of Southern California, and primarily in Newport Beach, and Charley was a big part of that scene.

It's a sad day out on the Boardwalk today, because there is one less cruiser riding the strand.
Rest in Peace, Charlie. Were all going to miss you very much.

Sincerely,
Marty

I will be thinking of Charlie while I ride the Balboa Penn. today. He was a cool guy riding everywhere he went. R.I.P.

a Special dedication today. today we lost another friend of the Cyclone Coaster group, RIP Charley Greyson.
Charley was a true bicycle guy and a great person to know. Charley lived to a ripe old age spending every day at the beach. Charley is perhaps best known outside of Southern California for selling Mike Wolfe his Shelby Airflow which to this day Mike claims is a barn find. not true unless the beaches of Southern California is a barn :rolleyes:
so today, in honor of Charley, I give you Charley's Fabulous Indian Bicycle!

IMG_4390_zpsb57d2f99-1.jpg

and as an added bonus a portrait I took of Charley and his green Shelby (not the Airflow).

P7200341_zpsce4e0e1e-1.jpg

Thank you Scott for posting this of our fellow rider Charlie - He lived his life with a real passion for bicycles & the beach life style in Newport Beach California. From playing surf music with his band back in the day which was most notably used in Quentin Tarantino movie Pulp Fiction to enjoying a California beach ride on his Indian bicycle ... You made the World a better place Charlie - Godspeed my friend .... Frank

Wow ...I did not know Charlie,but now I now the man that I talked to one day while vacationing in Cali a few years ago was Charlie.Saw this really cool green Shelby next to this older guy drinking coffee near the pier at Balboa ,started to talk about old bikes ...real nice guy ..Will dig out the pic and post it later today....RIP Charlie...
DSC02754.jpg
DSC02758.jpg
DSC02753.jpg

Here are the pics I took of Charlie back on May 20th 2009 .The real cool guy with the real cool bike ....

Last edited:
He will be missed so so much such a kind soul . Would do anything he could for you the shirt off his back kinda guy .. Had the pleasure of knowing him and he was an amazing wheel man he could true and lace like no other !! We lost a legend in the Newport Beach bike world ! We will All miss Ya buddy thank you for all your knowledge and your amazing kind heart !! It was an honor to know you , and will not be forgotten.... With all our Love
Chris and Lluvis Spence

Cruising my Prewar Schwinn [emoji605]

Back