When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

evans bike on eBay

-
Looks like someone went after the right side of the top tube with a 1/2" drill. I call BS on the sellers story.

Scarce is a good word for these early Evans-Colson bikes. I see nothing amiss in his story regarding the history. The company bought out Colson in 1953 and released their first models for 1954, in Plymouth Michigan. I'd agree that this is a '55. They employed Harley Earle on the design of the bicycles. This early Evansaction springer was only used for a brief time; 2 years or so.

The spot in question on the top tube looks like a recent paint chip, maybe? It's reflective like bare metal. Otherwise, condition is quite primo. I think it'll command pretty good money; they don't come up often.

It's a '54 and obviously a repaint/older restoration. It is fairly rare though and a good candidate for a correct restoration.

Now I just need to check out that other one he mentions in the "Bicycle Museum in California"... :rolleyes:

I am going to stick my neck out on this one, isn't the headlamp a Schwinn middleweight lamp and isn't the seat a repainted persons that usually comes on the Columbia repops?

You're not sticking your neck out, you're correct on the headlight and seat. Pedals and grips are also wrong, Chinese tires, etc., but the biggest boo-boo is the color.. Not even close to correct!

How about this Evans?

Comments? You seem to know a lot about the Evans bikes, what year is this one? I've not been able to nail it down at all.

Mike
Spaceliner before 007.jpg

Comments? You seem to know a lot about the Evans bikes, what year is this one? I've not been able to nail it down at all.

Mike
View attachment 186992

First of all, SWEET ride! Evans' cantilever frame was first seen on the 57 Firebird model. I'd say yours is around a 60, the seat is older. A 60 would've had a black & white striped seat.

Back