When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bluebird build.

-

American Vintage Bicycle Supply

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
First the Back Story...

I picked up this Bluebird through the craziest series of events. First off...it was found in a barn by my new friend Jay at Reclaimed American. They are one heck of a salvage lumber business! This is what came out of a barn that they were in the process of tearing down. Jay had a good enough eye to pull it out of the barn and buy it from the original owner. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Reclaimed America found me on Instagram and was able to identify the bicycle they found by a picture of a nicely restored Bluebird I posted several months ago..he commented saying "That's like the one I found". When I saw this comment, I immediately got In touch with Jay and tried to offer him a reasonable amount for it. Jay said he would talk to his wife and get back with me. I'll never forget what he replied with later that night.

"We're wondering how this sounds.... we'll get it ups, send you their number and you pay and arrange shipping through them---as far as the cost of the bike, take whatever you would pay us and pay it forward to someone down your way who might need it more than us! We're pretty blessed already, really like your accent and think Abram Kulp (original owner) would approve! Let us know if that will work for you!"

Of course that worked for me and now this bike is going in my personal collection. I don't plan to do much more than find enough to make it ridable.

The picture of the Bluebird below is how the bike looked the snowy morning it came out of the original owners barn (Where it stayed since it was new)

The bike is only two days away according to the tracking. When the guy at UPS called me he said.."uhhhh someone dropped off an old rusty bicycle and gave me this number to call" I just laughed and said yeah that's mine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414461031.848362.jpg

Build plans...

The will be no chance of any custom modifications to any of the original parts.

I hope to track down a few parts and pieces to make it more complete.

For starters, I found this crusty speedo that will fill the hole in the tank.

c7a97a806d993883cd9e6fe848a0a4f7-1.jpg

The chain was too good to stay crusty. I had to give it the treatment.

54a5f950bd282e938f6b0e5b38af3b3a-1.jpg

4603d45a77e5ded64eddec75b6004a4e-1.jpg

bd4278707434b33e760382f070bc0743-1.jpg

If you don't rebuild your old hubs, you're missing out. This crust and dust buildup limits your hubs braking and coasting.

Before you buy another...try to rebuild.

Also interesting fact. The '35 and '36 Bluebirds came stock with a new departure rear and front. In late '36 they introduced the air cool front hub and in '37 the air cool rear.

Mine is a '36 so technically the new departure front and rear are correct. It's the rims that are incorrect:) who cares.

631de338b3a4d01143d52d236ed2621b-1.jpg

ee0c11fb1fff67087ed55a011e50d385-1.jpg

After both treatments are complete your wheel will spin so fast the spokes disappear. I think it has to go 88 mph or something like that.

06f78b9b564c7240f7cbd4eb69d55456-1.jpg

Got all the holes in the frame filled now the correct parts!

Fenders and a rack are not likely to happen to this bike but I'd like to find the correct crank sprocket with some teardrop pedals!

74e2bfcca59ae41befebfbbcace09cb0-1.jpg

Not just a hole filler, the patina is perfect. This could one really interesting Bluebird.

Back