When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newby - Surprise Birthday Present...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CaddisNcane

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello Everyone!

Lots of great info in this forum!

Background...
My wife and her sister hatched the idea to fix up their other sisters bike for her birthday. Serial number tracks to 1956, based on pictures and other bikes on this forum I'd say it was a girls corvette.

I pretty much have it in pieces, it was mainly dirty, tires and cables were shot, 3 speed shifter and cable missing, shifter chain in hub broken and held out with a wire.....

I think its missing the headlight - not sure if it came with one but their is a bracket there.

They (sisters) just wanted it to be usable, I want it to be a little nicer than that. So I have new Kenda whitewall tires and tubes, brake cables and just got some pieces off Ebay I can use to fix everything else but the shifter cable.

Dilemma....
I'm not sure which cable (length/type) I need ofr the 3 speed shifter...help?

VR
Jerry

Welcome to the CABE, post some pictures so that we can help you.

Thanks okozzy!

Yeah - I knew I should have taken some before pictures - I will try to take some of the parts & post today. Everything was in pretty decent shape except the spokes, cables and tires...... Need to figure out the shifter cable....

VR
Jerry

Aftermarket Sturmey cables should be universal fit. Small nut & bolt combo near the adjusting barrel allows cable to be adjusted to correct length and then cut and capped.
Cheers, Geoff

The cable on my 61 Fair Lady (girls corvette renamed) is approximately 51 inches long. The casing from the shifter to the first clamp is about 16 inches.

if you don't have access to a sturmey archer cable I get standard universal shifting cables that fit mountain and road bikes and then just use the end that is cylinder shaped along with the newer sturmey style clamp and adjuster that allows you to replace the cable anytime.

Thanks for all the input! That will help tremendously to find a shifter cable. I will try to attach/insert some pics of the torn down corvette. I already have the new whitewalls on the rims and am about to start re-assembly.

The chain is soaking in oil as it was stiff, I cleaned it up pretty good and will clean off all the oil before I put it back on.
P1200005.jpg
P1200004.jpg

My parts have been shipped, hub, shifter, brake handles and calipers and should finish it up except for the cable which I will run down shortly.

The tires that were on it were Goodyear Thunderbolt. Dry rot a little bit but don't know if they are original or if anyone would want them for an original restore for display.....

Thanks again and I will post more as she goes back together....

Jerry

Attachments

• P1200009.jpg
    P1200009.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 310
  • P1200006.jpg
    P1200006.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 304
I guess one of main concerns too was the connections between the shifter - cable/cable hub. The pictures I see of the corvette show a lot of bare cable, some of the replacements I see on ebay and other places show mostly sheathed cable with a small section of bare cable close to the hub end.

I guess I would just have to anchor the hub sheathed end no matter what cable I used? clear as mud what I'm trying to ask? lol
Jerry

If you want a completely covered cable, go with my idea. Use a standard cable cover it all in a new housing and run it to almost the end of the right side bottom tube near the wheel. Then get a sturmey archer anchor that fits that tube and install. No bare cable and no need for the little sturmey wheel. I will post a picture tomorrow of what I mean so you can see.

Back