When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know who manufactured the Schwinn Approve tubular rims in the 70's

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

highwheel431

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone know who manufactured the Schwinn Approved tubular rims in 1974? Super Champion? Mavic?

I'm pretty positive Schwinn was still making their Tubular rims at this time. The high end lightweights had rims from a few different manufactures like Araya and Weinmann. Schwinn Tubular S's were all made in house.

The quality of Schwinn tubular rims changed significantly about 1974. welded areas were sloppy, and the grinding too, the branding misplaced and double or single knurling of 'railroad tracks'. At that time I was under the impression, or heard rumors that Schwinn rims along with other companies being exported for manufacture were made in Mexico. They look like the type of 'quality' that many companies in the states were having made south of the border during the period too.

However, In all those years which I would not touch one, of late I've had a few which needed cleaning and the chrome seems to be the same as prior.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm using the wrong verbiage. I'm taking about the rims used on Paramount's with tubular tires.

I had a conversation about these rims with Sam Fitzsimmons last weekend at the Butler, PA swap. He mentioned they were made by Mavic as well. I have NOS set that I'm going to lace to drilled record hubs for my 76 Team Schwinn Paramount P-14. All I need is a set of the correct tires and the build is done.

No Matter who did the welding on the wheels or assembled them. I feel Schwinn made Schwinn. Any and every company who puts their name on them is responsible for the product and its quality. So I say Schwinn made Schwinn and its their Baby.
But Who is in Grants Tomb ?

Just for the record if it says "Schwinn Approved" that means that it was not made by Schwinn. It was tested and certified for use on Schwinn's but is manufactured by other component manufacturers.

Back