When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buy new handlebars or re-chrome original 1947 Columbia bars?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

donhaller

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Subject says it all. I'm new here. I got the bug to re-do an old bike and fell in love with a 1947 Columbia Superb. It has no fenders or chain guard and a tank from an earlier bike, but I'm gonna re-do it for a beach cruiser. Should I buy a new set of handle bars from eBay retailer or get the originals re-chromed when I send in the cranks, head-set and other stuff.

Also, should I rechrome the headset hardware (nuts etc.) or just wire wheel them?

Thanks - this is my first post!

Don - in Chesapeake Beach, MD

My opinion is if your going to do a high end resto you'll want to do a rechrome of high quality. If it's just going to be an original rider just find some bars with decent chrome enough to match the patina of the bike. The choice is up to you entirely. Rob.

If you do decide to clean it up use 0000 STEEL WOOL and BARS KEEPERS FRIEND its a stainless steel cleaner works really good. Look at my post
(TITLED, COLUMBIA TANDEM) just above yours to see how well it cleans.

Last edited:
I've had great results recently with chrome and cad plated parts soaked in Evaporust...thanks AJ! :cool:

If you do decide to clean it up use 0000 STEEL WOOL and BARS KEEPERS FRIEND its a stainless steel cleaner works really good. Look at my post
(TITLED, COLUMBIA TANDEM) just above yours to see how well it cleans.

You did that with BarKeepers Friend and 0000 steel wool? Awesome work. I use BKF all the time as I'm also a home brewer and have lots of SS to clean.
I'll have to give this a shot. Thanks for the tip

Back