When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incoming... Orient Tandem

-

Crazy8

I live for the CABE
Picking this one up tomorrow morning. Another long trip. Basically the frame and drive train, everything else looks 60/70s.
Will post better photos when I get back with it.
00Q0Q_aNu3BkZlh0N_600x450.jpg
01212_8hJtlDOJann_600x450.jpg
00909_dWEvogjTcZ0_600x450.jpg

Just got back with the Orient tandem. Good frame. No clue if it's original paint, but it looks good. Of course some missing paint and has some rust. Rear right crank arm is bent inward and very close to the sprocket. Rear sprockets look straight. Front sprocket has some curving to it and the right crank arm also bends in. Original seat posts are there. I'm guessing these are the original hubs on a newer set of rims. Has the rear block chain, but no front. Pedals, seats and bars are recent additions. Rear stem is broken, but screws together which is a bit strange. No clue on the date as this is my first TOC bike.

20150125_111921.jpg
20150125_111942.jpg
20150125_111950.jpg
20150125_112006.jpg
20150125_112019.jpg
20150125_112030.jpg
20150125_112036.jpg
20150125_112043.jpg
20150125_112057.jpg

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that the porcelain is chipped on the head badge. It must have looked beautiful when it was all intact. My instincts tell me that the bicycle was in fact painted at some point because there appears to be blue paint on the head badge. Most, if not all, of the turn of the century bicycles I have encountered in tintypes and other old photographs always have highly polished and shiny head badges. I doubt it would have been painted over by the manufacturer. As for the age, I am not the one to ask - but for what it's worth I have the same exact fork on one of my turn of the century bicycles, which dates to 1906 on the earlier side. I would tend to think yours is earlier but, again, I defer to more experienced members. Good luck! I am interested to see what others know about it.

Got all the parts off the bike, except the rear seat post (1/4 inche square allan wrench type hole). Everything is soaking in vinegar or OA. Badge was the last part to come off. Did a light clean up. Will hit it a bit harder after I've taken a break. Might just remove all the paint from the frame and have it repainted black in the future.

20150129_190241.jpg
20150129_190247.jpg
20150129_190307.jpg

And now the badge and parts are on EBAY. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Why on earth would someone pull this rare frame apart and sell the badge and other pieces???????????????????????????????????????????

Now someone will buy a frame with no identification. Unless he's putting on another Model 82 badge ( unlikely though )

And now the badge and parts are on EBAY. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Why on earth would someone pull this rare frame apart and sell the badge and other pieces???????????????????????????????????????????

Now someone will buy a frame with no identification. Unless he's putting on another Model 82 badge ( unlikely though )

1. The frame is painted.
2. Front sprocket and crank arms are bent.
3. Correct parts are nearly impossible to find.
4. Rear Hub isn't original (pretty sure it's a english racing 40 hole racing hub or Canadian), front hub probably isn't either, but haven't taken a close look at that yet.

If you think I'm ridiculous, the one person who was interested told me to cut the frame in half to save on shipping.

Personally, between me and you. I think you over stepped your boundaries by making it a point to blast it all over Cabe. And what gives you the right to tell me what to do with my property?

I guess you're right. Cutting it in half is pretty stupid isn't it!!!! ( what did you tell him? )
Parts that are bent are easily put straight ---- try it some time.
Correct parts are nearly impossible to find you say ……………. but not impossible!!!!!

PRESERVATION!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( This is an easy preservation and restoration for someone who understands this sort of thing )

Some people understand the preservation historically of these old bicycles …… and some don't I guess. That's my 2 cents

But again …… why on earth would someone pull the badge off this beautiful frame and sell it?

This is definately one for the "Pet Peeve" thread on this site!! ( already spoken about )

I would have just pulled the bars off, the pedals off and those ugly seats. What's left is a really decent start to a restoration.
Seats are easy to find as they come up ALL the time. Pedals are always found and the bars aren't that difficult. Other members
always have hubs for sale. Crikey ….. what's left?

Good luck with your sale.

Oh … love your avatar - yikes!

Back