When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The only brand new bike I ever got...

-

Schwinndemonium

Finally riding a big boys bike
I should say from my parents...,

...was for Christmas, 1969 when my dad bought me this Flamboyant Red Schwinn Panther. It was the best Christmas present I ever got from my dad, as money back in those days was hard to come by. To say I was overjoyed that morning was an understatement as I had no idea I was getting this. I loved and used that bike from 6th grade up through high school and beyond. I finally sold it in 1982 to raise money for a car payment when my work hours were cut during that brief but severe recession that took place back then.

Flash forward to 2009. When I was at Hershey at the big AACA meet, I saw one just like it for sale at MLC's booth, there, and I bought the thing from Lisa. The thing is still in great all original condition, right down to the Superior tires it came with. As with my original bke, this bike, also is a 1969 model year Panther.

Going back to the Christmas of 1970, my dad bought me a Schwinn Approved Huret made round red and white faced speedometer for the bike, and installed it for me. Likewise with the duplicate bike I have, now, I was able to locate, have rebuilt and install the exact speedometer set that my original bike had back in the day. so for me, I got my first love back... my 1969 Panther.:)

The first picture is me with my original 1969 Panther at age 14 in the spring of 1972.

The second picture is of me with my duplicate bike in the fall of 2013.

Jim.

Me with 1968 Schwinn Panther in spring of 1972.jpg
Me and 1969 Schwinn Panther-- Image II  Nov. 9th, 2013.jpg

Me with 1968 Schwinn Panther in spring of 1972.jpg

Me and 1969 Schwinn Panther-- Image II  Nov. 9th, 2013.jpg

Last edited:
That's a beauty Jim....I had the same bike about 20 years ago,not so nice as yours but nice. I found it in the trash one night after leaving a local bar in Mt Clemens Mi.My wife @ the time ( Shes history) couldn't understand why I would bother with it,lol...

Last edited:
I'm rambling on here but I just remembered that a day or so later, it occurred to me that I might have stolen that bike from a drunk with no license,lol.The bike was up against a dumpster behind the bar and I thought it was discarded? Whos knows?

Last edited:
Funny story, PC. ;)

As an addendum, that is my dad's 1966 Pontiac Star Chief Executive coupe behind me in that first picture. That is the first car I ever drove at the same age that I am in that picture. Fourteen. That big 389 V-8 was nothing other drivers wanted to mess with!

Jim.

Last edited:
I spent 12 plus years and over 8,000 miles looking over the handlebars and speedometer of that original bike back in the day. Good times with friends, neighbor kids, and classmates, and just spending times on the road being outside and free. That is what this bike meant to me. :)

Jim.
EmoIMG_0463.jpg

EmoIMG_0463.jpg

That Panther is nice (both times). I li ke the small tank design of the Panther. It's a clean design and the red really shows it off. The '66 Pontiac was cool, too. My parents bought a new '66 Catalina convertible, which I bought from them when I was a senior in HS (1968).

Back