When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 speed kickback schwinn hub color bands

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kodyind

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone tell me why on schwinn 2 speed kickback hubs that there are different color bands , that does the color mean, i have seen yellow, red and blue or it might have been black. Is it that different models had differeny colors or is it because of the year or what

thanks
jim

Colors of 2 speeds

The different colors are for different gear ratios.Yellow and Red gear down, making pedaling easier. Blue gears up for pedaling at higher speeds. Red are for 26" wheels and sometimes Yellow as well. Blue and most Yellow are 28 hole for 20" wheels. Blue and Yellow band hubs use a standard bendex brakeshoe and aren't too hard to rebuild.Red uses brake shoes and are a little tricky to rebuild ( so I've been told). I've rebuilt yellow and blue, but not a red yet. I have all three on various bikes.

The different colors are for different gear ratios.Yellow and Red gear down, making pedaling easier. Blue gears up for pedaling at higher speeds. Red are for 26" wheels and sometimes Yellow as well. Blue and most Yellow are 28 hole for 20" wheels. Blue and Yellow band hubs use a standard bendex brakeshoe and aren't too hard to rebuild.Red uses brake shoes and are a little tricky to rebuild ( so I've been told). I've rebuilt yellow and blue, but not a red yet. I have all three on various bikes.

Dale
well i have a 1963 jaguar and it has a single speed hub and i want to buy a 2 speed hub for it and i want to make sure i get the right color hub for that year of jaguar

thanks
jim

Red Band

Red Band is what you want. When you get one you can test it by holding the brake arm and turn/shift the sprocket by hand. If it doesn't shift right the index spring is broken/missing. I bought a blue band a while back that wouldn't shift. The spring had been removed. Springs aren't too hard to find though fortunetly.

Back