When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern wheel set

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

traveler11

Look Ma, No Hands!
Modern wheel set for Elgin ?

I have a 43 Elgin with a mussel man hubs . I have written about this here before . The problem is I have a tough time stopping the bike after two attempts at making this better , I am wondering if there is a set of modern rims that I could use on this bike . Not trying to change the look so much as it has great patina , but it sits when it should be ridden . Any thoughts on this would be helpful

Thanks robert

Last edited:
t11, it's not the "rims" it's the hub. You need to break down the hub and possibly install a new rebuild kit for that particular unit.

You can post in the "wanted" section here at the CABE or pay me an exorbitant amount of money for the one I happen to have right here NOS in the box ...

Your choice.

pap

You could buy a good used New Departure D (brakes better than the Musselman IMO) and have it spoked into your original rim with the original spokes and nipples.

Hey T-11 I had the same issues with both the New Departure and Morrow hubs I have. Clean clean clean regrease and put back together to be quite honest the Morrow works better than the N D does .

Just repaired a Musselman that wouldn't stop. A light honing of the inner hub shell, and a new cartridge and it stops great. Generally if they won't stop after a clean and re-grease the innards are worn out and need replacement.

Last edited:
Just repaired a Musselman that wouldn't stop. A light honing of the inner hub shell, and a new cartridge and it stops great. Generally if they won't stop after a clean and re-grease the innards are worn out.

RustyK fixed Nick's BB hub and it works well now- he had the LBS rebuild it and still wouldn't brake, then bought another from a CABEr that also wouldn't brake...send it to him! ;)

"Rusty K's One Stop Hub Shop"

Darcie

Back