When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firestone Super Cruiser, HELP Please

-

oldfart36

Riding One Of My Monark Super Deluxe's
Good news! I found the tank, and the springer for the bike!

Bad news, The neck is frozen. I have soaked it numerous times, tried to work it, and can't get it to budge.

Any input, and idea?? Don't really want to end up cutting it.

attachment.php

First of all, love that rack! If you can get the bars off, might try using a piece of wood & a four pound or so hammer to knock the neck side to side whilst applying penetrating oil.

Hit the top of the stem bolt with a hammer. Might flatten the top a bit, but it's a cheap replacement.

Also try torching the top of the stem bolt. Heat should transfer down to the wedge if it gets hot enough.

If you manage to snap the stem bolt, you can put some PB blast down the hole.

Or is the bolt free and the gooseneck is just straight up frozen in the fork tube? I've had that before as well. Turn the bike upside down and keep hitting the underside of the neck. I've had to cut them off in the past as well, since it's not a special piece.. sometimes the 15$ to replace it isn't worth hours of nightmare hammering that may go nowhere.

Or is the bolt free and the gooseneck is just straight up frozen in the fork tube? I've had that before as well. Turn the bike upside down and keep hitting the underside of the neck. I've had to cut them off in the past as well, since it's not a special piece.. sometimes the 15$ to replace it isn't worth hours of nightmare hammering that may go nowhere.

Handle bars are not a problem, I put those on. You are correct, the neck bolt is free and out. I suppose it's time for more drastic measures.

Put the neck bolt back in and tap with a hammer to release the wedge bolt. If you've already done that, then proceed with said drastic measures.

Put the neck bolt back in and tap with a hammer to release the wedge bolt. If you've already done that, then proceed with said drastic measures.

We think alike my friend, have tried that. Dinamite is my last resort.:cool:

Air chisel with a block of wood in between. it's worked a couple times for me. good luck.

Back