When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938/39 Hawthorne identification help please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Drummerboy

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm very excited to say that, today I'm going to pick up my first Pre War Skiptooth bicycle. It's a 1938/39 Hawthorne. I'd like help identifying the exact model, year if possible, and also what parts are incorrect or missing. The seller has stated that the rear rack is incorrect, possibly from Schwinn. I'd like to know if the chain guard is correct for sure and any other parts that may need changing. The saddle of course is newer but, looks great and I'll probably be leaving it.

Once again, I'm stoked! Thanks.

20150116_122022_LLS.jpg

20150116_122039-1.jpg

IMG_20140817_174548-1.jpg

The rack is actually correct, as is the 38-39 assessment built by HP Snyder. Since this is not the fully deluxe Hawthorne Zep model, it likely did not come with a chainguard. This one is a universal aftermarket piece. Chainring is Western Flyer and pedals are 70s. The important parts are all original though, with just some easy pieces to swap, making it correct. Looks like there may be some original paint left under the spray job too. Cool bike; enjoy!

Here's a catalog image:

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle87/picture207

Last edited:
Based on the welding and seat stay I'd expect that at earliest 40-41 and may be newer. by this period manufactures were electro welding and the rear drop out and bars to head post appear so. during and just after war most bikes would have a combination of brazing and electro weld. So, because all of the forward bars appear to be electro welded it's possible post war.
disclaimer: I know nothink about hawthorns!

Hard to say from the pics, but it looks like the fenders don't match. The front looks peaked and the rear not...is that so?

Looks like your wheels are newer than the bike too. The hub might have a large brake arm with NEW DEPARTURE in big letters: 1950s.

From bikes and catalogs I've seen, 1939 took a longer rear fender with horizontal brace.

hawthorne0001JPG-1.jpg

What's the serial #? I can compare it to the bikes here.

The original paint was sand blasted off by the last owner. It was semi restored, then had a faux patina added.

As far as the fenders go, I'm going to look it over one more time before finalizing the deal.

So the crank is incorrect?

The original paint was sand blasted off by the last owner. It was semi restored, then had a faux patina added.

As far as the fenders go, I'm going to look it over one more time before finalizing the deal.

So the crank is incorrect?

Yes, crank and chain ring are not original to that frame.

Back