When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strategies for locating old bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

donhaller

'Lil Knee Scuffer
How are you all finding old bikes and parts? What are your strategies? Are going to yard sales or estate auctions. Run old bike wanted ads?
Just interested in what works for most people.

Just pounce on new member posting "info wanted threads" and ask to part a bike they are not selling as parts.

I find about 70% of my goodies here. Just be upfront, and genuine. Folks will gravitate toward you. Have fun here, and WELCOME!

How are you all finding old bikes and parts? What are your strategies? Are going to yard sales or estate auctions. Run old bike wanted ads?
Just interested in what works for most people.

I have had great success @ vintage car swap meets, flea markets, estate sales & the local bike shops.
Although the bike shops may not have the oldies, there's usually one or two there who are into old bikes
& I make it a point that they know I'm into old bikes. Even the guys who work at these bike shops & are
not into old bikes, they know what I prefer. A young "not-interested-in-old bikes" guy told me he had an
old "pee wee Herman" bike that he was getting rid of because it was "too heavy". I learned a long time ago
that it never hurts to check. And that's how I found a complete X-53 Super Western Flyer that had been
home-painted for a very sweet price. I gently "massaged" the spray paint off to reveal rather nice chrome fenders. I feel good that I was able to rescue another "old" bike from destruction !:p

I went through the sources of my collection a while back and if I recall the amount was led by craigslist, then other collectors (and not just on this site), ebay, local auctions, then swap meets.
There is an "other" category in the mix...but I cannot reveal all my secrets. ;)
That said, swap meets I pick up a fair amount of needed parts and stuff that can be cost prohibitive in shipping.
Chris

Salesmanship 101

Persistent prospecting, and lots of patience. Buy when the opportunity exists.

Persistent prospecting, and lots of patience. Buy when the opportunity exists.

Great advice...

also add this...

Do not leave the area & plan to come back later...because...9 times out of 10...

it'll be gone !

Now make a sign & post it to where you can see it as a reminder....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Cash in hand in case I run into a bicycle in everyday life ... word of mouth & when people know you're into bikes they call you ...

If you're just a flash in the pan type of speculator, you'll probably burnout pretty quick, becuase you'll realize that old bikes are not a very good get rich quick scheme.
You'll end up leaving the hobby with everybody hating you, because you probably destoryed a bunch of pretty good original bikes and you've burned a lot of bridges along the way.

But, if you're in it for the long haul, then relax,have fun, and plug into the community and enjoy the ride. You'll make a bunch of friends, and before you know it, your garage will be stuft with old bikes and parts that will envelope your entire life.
Figure out which guy you want to be, and hopfully, we'll see you at the next ride.

Back