When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removing grips

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I am not sure how many of you do this, but I always remove even the most stubborn grip by taking a 7/8 s open end wrench, place it over the handle bar, flat side evenly tight against the end of the grip[ important to be flat and evenly placed against grip] 2 or 3 hits max and even the most stubborn hardest grips pop off without damage. I put a small piece of electric tape on the inside edge of the open end wrench so the handle bars dont get scratched by the wrench.
an old timer showed me this years ago . If the grips are really petrified, I tap lightly, but firmly. and rotate the wrench a little evenly distributing the wrench against the face of the grip.
Of all the grips I have taken off I have only taken a chunk outta one coke bottle grip because I got careless and did not keep wrench even. Try it, 3 hits, its off!:)

I usually try to get a little WD-40 in between the grip and the bar. Let it sit for a day or too, and try to turn the grip on the bar. Should break it free.

So far, I've had really good luck inserting a very small flat blade screwdriver on the top of bar under grip and a squirt of fantastik into the gap and within 5 min it twists right off. Joe.

Rubbing alcohol. Slip a small screwdriver or anything small and long enough you can wedge in,, drip some rubbing alcohol in give it a few minutes add more if needed, comes right off, and no residual junk to clean out later 5 maybe 10 minutes at most is all it takes. . WD 40 works too, but you've got to get that oil out of the rubber later if you do. While Rubbing alcohol evaporates and leaves no residue.

Of course if your grip has hardened and could potentially crack,, tinker's method, if you're extra careful, whatever you use to grab the outer grip is cushioned as to not scratch it, .. I'd be there too. "Smack, Pop!, twist, and done"

Last edited:
I do what the op said. Works every time. has never taken more than 5 minutes for both sides. Never damaged anything.

I've always used an air compressor to slide grips on and off bicycles and motorcycles. Just spray the air at grip and pocket if air surrounds rubber.

I used to try everything, then a friend told about an easy trick if the grips have a hole in the end. Put your air nozzle in one grip and your finger over the hole in the opposite grip. Apply air and one will shoot right off, and it usually frees up the other grip. If not, use a rag or something to block the hole in the bars and repeat the procedure on the other side. Takes less than a minute. I've done this with cracked and crusty grips and not damaged a grip yet.

Back