When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Trap Pedal Restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Has anyone had a set of rat trap pedals re-plated? Do the cages have to be removed or are there any other unique problems I'd have to deal with?
Thanks, Pete in Fitchburg

When plating disassembling everything is your best bet. I suppose you could just unscrew the dust cap and slide the cages off and leave the cages assembled. I assume you're plating the Torrington 4 stars that you posted pics of earlier?

Yes, Brian, those are the pedals. I'm going to need a nice set for the 1915 racer that I'm restoring. I've heard that the pedals should be taken apart but I hate to actually disassemble the cages. Yes, Wally, love to see some pics. Pete in Fitchburg

You have to take the whole thing apart. Only way to plate anything. Plating costs a lot of $$$$ and not doing it right would be a huge waste of $$$$$.

Pete: here's a partially disfigured & partially disassembled pedal. The nut on the spindle end would remove the body & bearing from the spindle.
The pedal cage would still be whole as the arms are tabbed into the wrap & swaged.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424347800.410650.jpg

I'll be making a new cage for this set of pedals.

Back