When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about HVLP mini spray guns

-

TattooedHead

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I've grown completely tired of rattle can paint jobs. It seems as though they take forever, and no matter what, never seem to last as well, or look as good as quality paint job done at a "shop".

So I recently purchased an HVLP sprayer. It's a Finex FX1000 mini HVLP sprayer, not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive, like a SATA.

I'm new to the spray gun game however, and was hoping that some of you might have some tips on things like:

• Tip Sizes - What's best for primers, bases, colors and clears
• Paint sources - House of Kolor, etc...
• Prep - surface prep, (media blast or strippers etc...)
• Painting (techniques, #of coats, etc...)
• Finish - sanding and buffing

What I know sup far is limited to a lot of research online, and a couple of books published in 1984. Which means, not much, especially these days with paint technology changing as much as it has.

I know that after taking the frame back to raw, that a primer/sealer should be applied to prevent rust. Allowing that to dry completely, you then sand out any imperfections so your basecoat had the best chance to lay flat. I know that wet sanding orange peel in the color is important as well. But that's about where my experience stops.

I'm not saying I NEED a show quality paint job, but my perfectionism and OCD sure would like it to look better than any paint job I've managed to do with a rattle can. I'm hoping that there's some experienced painters here that can give me some help.

I know experience and technique is 75% of the job, and that practice makes perfect, but a little background knowledge and pointers probably won't hurt either.

Maybe the moderators could move your question to the "Restoration Tips" section.

This should be fun. If using a gun is new to you then I'd suggest getting in some time using it on none important items with a low cost paint. Painting a bike frame is not the same as painting your front door and it's definitely not like using an on/off spray can. Their is one thing that comes first and is very important. The paint viscosity or thinning and once you get that down everything else is a piece of cake, kinda. I'm currently using a touch up cup gun spraying commercial synthetic enamel at work and there are many, and I mean many things involved in doing a good paint job. Maybe you could practice on some of the kid's bikes in neighborhood and make a few bucks at the same time. ;) What size volume tip came with your gun?

A couple suggestions. Make sure you have a compressor that can keep up with your volume, get a moisture/oil filter and always drain your tank prior to painting. Also, having lots of hose before the filter helps quite a bit depending on your local environment and weather.

I got a 1.4 tip with my gun and ordered a 1.2 as well that hasn't arrived. I figure both of those tips should be able to spray HOK paints and primers, but I've been wrong before.

I've also got a 33gal craftsman compressor that does 6.8cfm @ 40psi.

Do you have any suggestions for "practice" paints I could use? I've got tons of old junk frames just lying around that I could practice on, so I don't burn up expensive HOK paints.

I live in Key West, so environment is pretty warm all year round (today not included, we dropped below 50°) but humidity can be a problem, especially layer in the summer. A moisture filter as well as particulate filters are a must. Any suggestions on what to get for these? And how much hose before filters should I have?

Using 33 gal compressor is plenty for the hvlp I would attach a full hose to the compressor first then attach a pressure regulator/filter setup then another full hose. This way the water form heat will cool down before entering the pressure/filter. Next be sure you have a filter attached to the gun with a small pressure regulator for fine tuning the gun. That way you get the right pressure for the paint to flow nicely. I do 3 -4 coats of paint to be sure of full coverage and wet sanding won't cut into the primer.. Read follow instructions carefully. Single stage is best on bikes. Factory finish. Light

Last edited:
If you are going to get serious you need two guns. A painting gun and a piece of crap for priming.

For painting I shot with the Finex gun you have for years. Decent gun and better than a harbor freight bottom feeder POS or even their HVLP. However, after years of using the finex which was a caddy compared to the others mentioned I bought a used Sata touchup gun off of craigslist for $200. I broke it all down and cleaned it. OMG!!!!! It craps all over the finex. The first trigger pull I literally looked down at the gun and said "Holy Shxx". It's the Bentley of guns. Also, major plus is using the 3m PPS system. There is an attachment you can use in place of the stock cup. This can probably be purchased for the Finex as well. Check out 3m PPS on youtube and learn about it. You will save a ton in cleaning solvents as well as messy cleanups.

My finex gun is now my primer gun. If you plan on painting a lot get a Sata. I bet you can get a used one off of ebay or clist cheap.

However, I still know professional painters shooting with POS harbor freight guns. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Once you eat steak for dinner you will no longer want hamburger helper.

Last edited:
Mr. Tattooed H.
thanks for the post as I am in the same phase as you and I'm learning lot's from the responses.

Thanks Djshakes. I just actually purchased another Finex today knowing I would probably need two guns. I figure this new one with a 1.4 tip will be a good starter to prime with. I'll keep a look out for a SATA somewhere. I'm heading to YouTube right now to learn about the 3M stuff. I've read a little about it, but it will be nice to see it in action. They do make an attachment for the Finex for it as well, so it will definitely be something to consider. I really like being creative with my paint schemes, stuff you wouldn't normally see on a bicycle, so I'm excited to get started and see what I can do.

Here's a question, how much primer and paint do you figure I would need per frame? Something tells me a quart would be too much...

And what's the life span of an open can of paint? Assuming you seal it back up, and keep it in a warm dark place?

Back