When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you consider a rookie bicycle collector's biggest mistake?

-

Sped Man

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Name some mistakes you made as a collector? What would you consider a rookie collector's biggest mistake and why? My biggest mistake was not asking for the dimension of parts I was ordering. I still do that today. Also not asking enough questions about what I am buying is another of my big mistakes. What do you consider a huge mistake on the part of rookie collectors?

Buying a pieced together project instead of a nice OG paint, unmolested bike. I've done it a couple times:rolleyes:

Buying a pieced together project instead of a nice OG paint, unmolested bike. I've done it a couple times:rolleyes:

So..true....so true. I am guilty of this one also. What is so funny is that we spend a small fortune building one, then an original one pops up a few months or a year later for half of what we have in the restored version. It has happened to me at least twice.

Last edited:
Throwing something away, because you thought it was too crusty and nobody would want it.

My biggest mistake, was assuming that a bike that was for sale on the other side of the country was a 26" bike. Turns out it was 24". Ask every question you can possibly think of.

thinking more is better. buying every cheap thing you see, instead of saving up to buy something nicer. young collectors and sometimes not so young will have 10 20 50 bikes that arent worth 10 20 50 dollars apiece or can only be given away. less is more

Being married to a woman who has no passion for whatever I collect. Her standard phrase: "When you sell it, I'll like it."

Buying anything thats old.Most beginners buy quantity instead of quality

Back