When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Observations of EvapoRust or "No Blue For You"

-

Ozark Flyer

I live for the CABE
I have a Diamond chain with Blued links that had some minor rust on it. After only about an hour in EvapoRust the rust was gone but to my surprise, so was the Blueing. See shot on left after derusting compared to a non treated chain on the right. Just saying this was my result so as they say on Hillstreet Blues "be careful out there". (sorry about the pun, just too easy)

d2db41baa586ce04dd242bd8400a734b_zps3dd8-1.jpg

Has anyone tried the molasses treatment yet. I'm afraid to because it sounds really messy. But I'm wondering if that method would retain the blueing?

No surprise there- "bluing" is, technically, a controlled rusting process. Google "rust bluing"; I've done several firearms with beautiful results, using the process.

Last edited:
Some Diamond chains were not blued originally. Do you have a picture of the chain before evaporust?

Glad you asked, I just found this you tube video.

[video=youtube;vq5IUiYMhRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5IUiYMhRM[/video]

I never tried the "Molasses treatment " on a chain. I does remove rust tho-

Using molasses on a chain seems messy and time consuming, but it does sound delicious.
Seriously, no liquids for me...just technique on a soft bristle wire wheel outside and yes, some of the blue does come off the more aggressive you have to be in removing the crud.
Chris

I imagine based on Duck's comment, that the molasses would remove the bluing on a chain.

Back