When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S2 Rim

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Boris

Old fat tired rider
Saw a double knurled S2 rim with deep groove and a Bendix made in Mexico brake arm. Could someone tell me if this might be either the 80's repop or the Phantom repop? I know there was a recent thread on this, but can't locate it at the moment.

According to Craig, his wheels are from the 70's and this would coincide with the Mexican Bendix. But what balloon bikes did Schwinn produce in the 70's? :confused:

Attachments

• s-2 rims.jpg
    s-2 rims.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 195
there's 2 bendix "Made in Mexico" 76 which were on Schwinn's till 83 and pretty sure there's a 74 also. . right about the time Schwinn's rims started getting crappy, 74. I thinks dats why me keeps tinking in 74 their rims was made in Mexico too. they can be on almost any bike of Schwinn's and others, cruisers middleweight and lightweights. I just bought a brand new one, '76' off epay to replace the rusted one on 80 cruiser. Even brand new they're ready to rust! So. I polished, cleaned the heck off it, and coated with clear coat. Sealed the SOB. .

Last edited:
According to Craig, his wheels are from the 70's and this would coincide with the Mexican Bendix. But what balloon bikes did Schwinn produce in the 70's? :confused:

Spitfires '77-'79 Cruisers '80+ They were middleweight frames with S2 rims and wide bars

BTW,I believe the Bendix Made In Mexico hubs were long gone when the Anniversary Phantom arrived in '95.They used a Shimano hub

Spitfires '77-'79 Cruisers '80+ They were middleweight frames with S2 rims and wide bars

I've had my hands on a couple of those bikes and not one has/had Schwinn stamped rims like in Craig's schwinnstore picture. Thanks for reminding me these started out in the late 70's. :o

I cant check right now but I think I have one on a sting ray

But is it a 26" S-2? The rims that Craig is selling are 26". Funny, Dave did not mention what size wheel he was talkin bout.

Not sure if this make any sense or not.

Quote:
YOUR BIDDING ON ONE AUTHENTIC GENUINE STAMPED SCHWINN S-2 RIM - 26 INCH 36 hole-THAT TAKE THE 26 X 2.125 TIRES,,,RARE TO COME BY NEVER USED RIM ,THEY USED THIS S-2 RIM ON MANY SCHWINN BIKES LIKE THE PHANTOM,,,,PANTHER,,,,STARLET,,,HORNET AND WHIZZER MOTOR BIKES AND MANY OTHERS,,,,SCHWINN MADE A FEW RUNS OF THE S-2 RIMS IN THE 1950S,,1980S AND 1990S,,THE RIMS IN THIS AUCTION ARE NOT THE SCHWINN REPOPS USED ON THE 1990's USED ON RE POP PHANTOMS .THIS SET IS 1970S AND ARE STAMPED

But is it a 26" S-2? The rims that Craig is selling are 26". Funny, Dave did not mention what size wheel he was talkin bout.

Not sure if this make any sense or not.

Quote:
YOUR BIDDING ON ONE AUTHENTIC GENUINE STAMPED SCHWINN S-2 RIM - 26 INCH 36 hole-THAT TAKE THE 26 X 2.125 TIRES,,,RARE TO COME BY NEVER USED RIM ,THEY USED THIS S-2 RIM ON MANY SCHWINN BIKES LIKE THE PHANTOM,,,,PANTHER,,,,STARLET,,,HORNET AND WHIZZER MOTOR BIKES AND MANY OTHERS,,,,SCHWINN MADE A FEW RUNS OF THE S-2 RIMS IN THE 1950S,,1980S AND 1990S,,THE RIMS IN THIS AUCTION ARE NOT THE SCHWINN REPOPS USED ON THE 1990's USED ON RE POP PHANTOMS .THIS SET IS 1970S AND ARE STAMPED

Now I am curious.I will have to get to the back building and see if the 20 incher is made in mexico.

Here's 1970 and 1986 Mexico Bendix too, just scanned e-bay and found these F/S:

_57JPG-1.jpg

Back