When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 Black Phantom in UK

-

Ukblackphantom

On Training Wheels
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi, this is my 1954 Black Phantom.
It must be very rare in the UK and certainly receives a lot of attention when I'm out riding it.
It used to belong to Gus Dudgeon, Elton John's record producer.

The bag in the back looks like an American WWII gun cleaning pouch. That gigantic peasant-wacking chain guard must stoke fear in the locals. You could serve tea for the neighborhood off that BIG American luggage rack, while the horn and light make it a real night stalker. People know to keep the shades down in American neighborhoods.

Last edited:
The bag in the back looks like an American WWII gun cleaning pouch. That gigantic peasant-wacking chain guard must stoke fear in the locals. You could serve tea for the neighborhood off that BIG American luggage rack, while the horn and light make it a real night stalker. People know to keep the shades down in American neighborhoods.
Hi
Vincev, yes very rare over here: I've yet to come across another in the UK, either on line or for real.
There may be a few 1995 repops, but haven't seen those either.
Schinnspangler, like your comments
I live in a small seaside town and it never fails to draw attention from young and old, male and female. As you say in the US: it's large and in charge!
Chris

Great looking bike and the history/provenance is quite impressive. I went to school in the UK as a young lad and spent subsequent summers there (Bournemouth, a seaside town as well) and I can remember missing my American Schwinn Stingray bikes but being intrigued by the Raleigh Choppers everywhere. Phantom looks great, if you decide you need a correct Schwinn Phantom saddle for it? Let me know, I have several restored ones here that would top the bike of nicely, always have a spare for sale if you need one.

Great looking bike and the history/provenance is quite impressive. I went to school in the UK as a young lad and spent subsequent summers there (Bournemouth, a seaside town as well) and I can remember missing my American Schwinn Stingray bikes but being intrigued by the Raleigh Choppers everywhere. Phantom looks great, if you decide you need a correct Schwinn Phantom saddle for it? Let me know, I have several restored ones here that would top the bike of nicely, always have a spare for sale if you need one.
Hi, thanks for your comments.
I live near Dover, Kent, but know Bournemouth as I had a girlfriend there in my student days in the late 60s, early 70s.
The saddle on my Phantom is a Persons, which I thought was one of Schwinn's suppliers.
What saddle do you have and what sort of price?
Chris

Super nice Phantom. Is there a story on how you ended up stealing this from Gus? :D

Here's my 53 that I grabbed from Ozark Flyer. He did a nice job recovering the seat before he decided to give me the bike.

Attachments

• GTs Phantom.jpg
    GTs Phantom.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 114
  • GTs Phantom 1.jpg
    GTs Phantom 1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 111
Back