When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elgin with Speedo/clock dash

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

carlalotta

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up this 1939(?) Elgin with speedo/clock dash last weekend. Front fender was crushed as some point. Looking for any information on this bike as well as the correct aluminum front fender. Thanks!
image_zpserurodk6-1.jpg

image_zpsq9hcz5md-1.jpg

image_zps570ntpel-1.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome bike. It looks like this was some sort of special deluxe version of this model. That appears to be a Westfield dash and because this is a Westfield built bike likely came that way. Personally I think the front fender may be salvageable. Maybe Ivo or someone has some literature on this bike. V/r Shawn

Roll the fender ...or send it to someone that can do it ... it is definitely salvageable .. The speedo set up is from a Columbia & was most likely added to the bicycle at some point .. Frank

I can roll that fender, definitely can be mended and rare so you gotta carlalotta!
That dash was available as a sears catalog accessory in the lates 30's and have turned up on streamlined orioles, so not yanked from a Columbia.
May actually be original to this model.
Chris

This is a Murray-built bike folks :)

Indeed she is. Even then, if it was offered through the Sears catalog as Chris mentioned, it could very well be original. Looks like somebody left their bike laying in the driveway and dad backed over it.. great bike though. And good to see you back!

Even then, if it was offered through the Sears catalog as Chris mentioned, it could very well be original.

Yes, wasn't implying the bike is not original (I've seen others like this), just clarifying the maker.

In the right hands I'm sure those fenders could be made very presentable especially if they are not ripped. Those were also used on the Twin 60's and are worth $500+++ by themselves. Your rear fender would have holes for the skirt guards though so that would detract slightly from the value. Nice find, It would be cool to see if that paint could be brought back to life. -Chris

Back