When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WD40 Rust Remover Soak

-

Pantmaker

I live for the CABE
Hands down, this is my new favorite derusting solution. It sells for $25 a gallon which is completely insane to me but there is a $10 rebate so I took the plunge. I have derusted every conceivable metal and plating combination with breathtaking results. The rust is simply gone each time leaving paint or plating undisturbed. Here is a fender brace that I stuck into the solution. It was clean within 30 minutes so I left it soaking over night to see if it would strip the plating too over time. It's like new.
20150316_231254.jpg

20150316_231254.jpg

Sorry...bought it at home depot...I just submerged this rocket ray bottom half and will post the after pics.
20150317_083429.jpg

Oxalic acid works wonders and is very mild remover.
Less expensive. The vintage oil can collectors swear by this method. Strips the rust and nothing more.

Here is the light after 12 hours. No rust left but it is piled high with sludge from dirt and debris. I didnt clean it at all before the soaking. The paint didnt budge. It should clean up nicely now.
20150318_002708.jpg
20150318_002334.jpg

No matter how hard I try or what I do. Rust is always there to stay. Unless I remove enough metal to get thru all of the rust. On Chrome rust comes from small holes that are in the Chrome. I can remove the surface rust which is mostly what I see. But it is still there, Just not so visible.
I remove a lot of surface rust on my items. But I know it is still there.

After I remove enough surface rust it is possible for me to recoat or reseal those holes and prevent air from getting to the tiny bits of rust. This will put it to sleep for a while. At least until I scratch the protective seal again.

I was at a show one time and had a lot of time on my hands. I used tin foil and removed a lot of surface rust. One time I used Steel wool. But I knew I was only removing the surface. Just like in this case.

Back