When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

52 (?) Tandem Bottom Bracket Nut Size

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rhk

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi all and thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide. I recently purchased a tandem (1952??) that was stored in a garage for decades. The rims are now soaking in molasses and I want to get started on cleaning the cranks and regreasing the bottom bracket bearings. I don't really want to use a channel lock on the bottom bracket nut if I can avoid it. So does anybody know the size of the nut and a good wrench reference?

Attachments

• tandem medium (Medium).JPG
    tandem medium (Medium).JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 90
Not sure of the size, I use a large Crescent adjustable wrench. Remember left hand threads on those. Your bike is newer than 52, probably from the 1960's. There is some confusion with Schwinn serial number date charts.

Thanks Gordon. I plan on hitting Sears on the way home and doing some wrench shopping.
Just out of curiousity, what characteristics did you use to date the bike?

Coppertone was a color used by Schwinn in the 60's. Also the bike is considered a middleweight because of the 1 3/4 width tires. Middleweights were introduced about 1954, I think.

Nice find there!
It'll clean up real nice.
I'd guess that's a 1968 or 1969 looking at the pedals and other equipment.
If you provide the two letters that your serial number starts with near the left rear axle nut, we can tell you the month and year the frame was made.
Mine looked close to your's before clean up, and your's could look like this.
Post your after pictures and good luck.

Greg M.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (48).jpg
    FullSizeRender (48).jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Gordon for the info.
WOW that looks great Greg! Did you document your cleanup methods anywhere? Also can you recommend a stand to hold it for ease of maintenance?

Not sure of the size, I use a large Crescent adjustable wrench. Remember left hand threads on those. Your bike is newer than 52, probably from the 1960's. There is some confusion with Schwinn serial number date charts.

Gordon is right.Remember the left hand threads.I always use a large crescent wrench.

Thanks guys. My new 1 1/2 inch crescent wrench did the trick Thanks also for the cool catalog cuts and the tip about Windex. LOL now I want a mini-twinn!

You asked for it!
Just in case you needed a picture of one.

Greg M.

Attachments

• 1968 Mini Twinn 001.JPG
    1968 Mini Twinn 001.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 66
Back