When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Whizzer- Please Help With A Couple Q's

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Real Steel

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi everyone. I just bought my first vintage Whizzer :)

Badged as a BF Goodrich. Front tire is BF Goodrich. Its a Schwinn DX frame (I think) with factory dimpled tubes next to the drive belt. Schwinn springer fork. The motor is a J type.

It looks to be very original. The tank looks like it may have been replaced due to the difference in patina. The front rim has new spokes. The fender support struts have been replaced. I was told the top end was rebuilt...the motor runs very well and does not smoke. It rides nice but needs everything tightened and tuned.

Frame: G13095
Motor: J228311

I have a couple of questions:
Is the frame an early 1950, or a late 1952?
Could this J motor (early 1949) be original to this bike?
How rare is a BF Goodrich Whizzer?

My intent is to keep the bike as original as possible, but I will be riding it often. I'm really looking forward to putting it on the road!

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• DSCN0556.jpg
    DSCN0556.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 502
  • DSCN0557.jpg
    DSCN0557.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 584
  • DSCN0565.jpg
    DSCN0565.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 508
  • DSCN0559.jpg
    DSCN0559.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 528
  • DSCN0560.jpg
    DSCN0560.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 473
  • DSCN0564.jpg
    DSCN0564.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 526
  • DSCN0558.jpg
    DSCN0558.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 479
It certainly looks like an original factory built Schwinn whizzer to my untrained eye. I'm not sure the embossed tank is correct but otherwise it looks very complete and original. Looks like a very solid investment as far as whizzers go.

I was thinking of putting some brown Felt Quick Brick tires on it, with Mr. Tuffy liners. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Felt Quick Brick tire brown.jpg
    Felt Quick Brick tire brown.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 405
Schwalbe Fat Franks....

great idea. I recognize the avatar. Look at the Cadet with Fat Franks on it....
and your Whizzer is on Schwinn's patented Cantilever frame...until 1958 I have heard....
I was thinking of putting some brown Felt Quick Brick tires on it, with Mr. Tuffy liners. What do you guys think?
IMG_8740.jpg

Last edited:
Tires that are on there look dandy...less you're gonna ride real far.
Motor not og to bike, unless put on when either or both was new....
THAT'S what I call being lucky with a FIRST Whizzer!!!

I like thee tires that are on it.They match the patina.Brand new bright tires may look out of place.

Those original tires are toast. Cracked and bald. This Whizzer is going to travel, so it needs to be reliable and safe.

Hey Tripple3, that looks real nice. I miss that bike. I sold it because I didn't have room for it anymore...now I bought a Whizzer, and I still don't have room. Its a sickness you know :)

What you have is a VERY nice original WZ507 Schwinn Built bicycle with a Whizzer J kit. The WZ507 was offered by Schwinn for Whizzer installation. (The badge would change depending on the retailer/store). It looks to be in great original shape - right down to the hardware - the only questionable detail is the throttle's grip, which should be tapered like the compression grip, not fluted (post 1950). In my humble opinion, this combo, in the colors is the 'quintessential' Whizzer. I would just clean it and preserve it as is.

wz507.jpg

This scan shows your bicycle model with an earlier H kit.

Last edited:
Back