When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sun Fading

-

bikiba

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
hey guys

i recently purchased this rocket. It is all there in terms of pieces [ not sure about the seat ] and i love it. I actually put it together last night and aired up the what i think are orig tires and gave it a ride. Was pretty comfy even with everything old/grimy and not tightened properly.

so a quick question, I have read through all of the member's posts regarding trying to recover the next layer of paint and then clear coating once you have gotten there, but has any one seen such an extensive sun fading before?

i have to take some proper pictures in the sun, but here was the forsale pic
monarkrocketsunfaded_zpswiknn3rk-1.jpg

and then this is the maroon under the kickstand. I am pretty sure it was not repainted because the tops of the fenders show maroon where they are covered and the back of the rack is also a transition [ sort of a pain missing link ] of the brownish orange you see to a deeper red/pink to the maroonish red it is supposed to be with no flaking of paint. I will post better pics eventually.
rocketpaint20burn_zpshoo7jbpm-1.jpg

so like i mentioned earlier, has anyone seen this level of fading? and do you think it is recoverable?

Have you tried WD 40? It will really darken it up.

vince - actually i haven't touched a thing yet. just assembled and took for a chilly ride up and down the block at midnight. :) i think i am going to give it a precleaning photoshoot and then a nice clean up. Then take the underside of one of the fenders and attempt a super light abrasive polish and see what it looks like.

Kool.Sometimes some of the waxes,etc.really bring out a color.I used to use something called Nu Finish and it really worked nicely.

I remember that stuff "nu finish' It did work good with almost no buffing. kind of like Armor all products.
very nice bike. I have a rocket like it and the tank and chain guard are faded also. Am afraid to buff the tank . dont want to remove the graphics...........

I have had great results with boiled linseed oil on paint like this with a well earned patina . It's more about going with what you got and giving it more depth and richness. Careful with the stuff though. My close calls with it are legendary.

when it comes to cleaning paint on bicycles I use two products only, boiled linseed oil as pantmaker mentioned & meguiar's cleaner wax

I strongly advise you try the meguiar's cleaner wax I think it would be perfect for what your trying to do, use it on a clean soft cloth It will shine, if you rub really hard it'll remove paint so go easy and youll get down to the more vibrant shade your looking for

Back