When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1917? 1919? Later? Haverford Black Beauty Pacer (need fork)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wing Your Heel

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I bought a Haverford Black Beauty Pacer

A few questions:

The book was published in 1877. When was the 'Black Beauty' name first used for a bicycle model?

Is there any record of the bike's age from its serial number? - 165833

The arch bar is different in 1917 & 1919 catalogues and different again on my bike (clues to age?)

And does anyone have a 28" front fork i could buy, to replace the bent one?

thanks a lot, Colin

_571_zpsxnfyz94s-1.jpg

_572_zpsh4mwikh9-1.jpg

_573_zpsdp9erlfb-1.jpg

1917blackbeauty01_zps4adfe2931_zps0kqd2i-1.jpg

1917 above; 1919 below

191920PACER20Black20Beauty20pg2014_zpsx8-1.jpg

This bike is made by Miami very nice find i have a 1917 black beauty catalog showing this model made by Miami for this bike.

Nick

This bike is made by Miami very nice find i have a 1917 black beauty catalog showing this model made by Miami for this bike.

Nick

So the catalog says "made by Miami Cycle mfg"??? I don't know of any proof that Miami built frames for Haverford. If so that would be a new piece to the Haverford puzzle. Haverford was a large jobber similar to Mead in that they sourced frames from multiple frame builders. Documented, known builders of Black Beauty bikes are Schwinn and HP Snyder. More evidence is needed for a determination of builder. There is also evidence that Excelsior Cycle Co built some bicycles for Haverford and I will try to post info on that when I get a chance.

Can you show some pics of the stay bridges and close ups on the lugs, lower cross bar joints and serial #?

I have no document writing proof no but, a few of us strongly believe that Haverford bought bikes from multiple manufacturers, the bike in these pictures has no rear dropout screws, something Miami bikes have been known for being identified for. It also uses a heavily lugged frame on the down tube which Miami also did, I would bet my money on the manufacture of this bike is Miami at a horse race any day. excelsior/schwinn and Harris did also make black beauties. but both company's have drop out screws and only excelsior you see rarely has a small lug style frame. in my catalog from 1919 I have this frame and a few others in the catalog are Miami built bikes because the frame styling is so unique on them.

Nick.

So the catalog says "made by Miami Cycle mfg"??? I don't know of any proof that Miami built frames for Haverford. If so that would be a new piece to the Haverford puzzle. Haverford was a large jobber similar to Mead in that they sourced frames from multiple frame builders. Documented, known builders of Black Beauty bikes are Schwinn and HP Snyder. More evidence is needed for a determination of builder. There is also evidence that Excelsior Cycle Co built some bicycles for Haverford and I will try to post info on that when I get a chance.

Can you show some pics of the stay bridges and close ups on the lugs, lower cross bar joints and serial #?

So the catalog says "made by Miami Cycle mfg"??? I don't know of any proof that Miami built frames for Haverford. If so that would be a new piece to the Haverford puzzle.

Nick has a catalog that states BB were built by Miami...that'll certainly add a new wrinkle to the makers of the Black Beauty.

Back