When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP !!! I have a 3 speed Schwinn Continental but thats all i know.

-

rolling slowly

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello im new to this and to this site as well. I always loved bikes but never got into the history of them. What I found ia a 19?? something but im not sure. The bike has a 3 speed sturmey archer shifter on the top bar, its blue in color, looks like 3 piece cranks, front and rear hand brakes, gull wing handle bars and a serial number on the bottom of the crank case thats stamped U68969 when I look it up it says it is a 1956 model. but I have no idea if its accurate or not. The bike has some very large fancy stickers that say continental and other things as well. the front head badge is round like a button and says schwinn continental as well it looks like it is brass. Sure would like to know more about it and if it is rare or of any value thanks to all.

Attachments

• 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 202
  • 119.jpg
    119.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 209
I wanna say late 40's Continental.

Id be interested in it if its for sale.

Last edited:
Great bike: cromoly frame, adjustable stem, stainless fenders, alloy Schwinn front hub...nice :cool:
the rear hub might have a date code stamped into it?

*edit* just noticed: the rear rim is pretty discolored. I think these came with stainless rims, so the rear wheel might have been changed...?

Last edited:
yep the 1948 does look the same. But the 1946 is identical to this bike and it is a three speed. Im just not sure what its place is in the history of schwinn bicycles I keep reading about. Dont know if I will sell it yet would like to find out more about it but I will let you know if I do.

Your right also rust junkie it says 56 does that mean 1956 also?

It could be a '56 hub, but had been replaced at some point..it should have two sets if numbers, a month and a year.

yep the 1948 does look the same. But the 1946 is identical to this bike and it is a three speed. Im just not sure what its place is in the history of schwinn bicycles I keep reading about. Dont know if I will sell it yet would like to find out more about it but I will let you know if I do.

It was probably available in a single or three speed every years it was made...

Back