When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Airflo Sculpted parts / garage build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jimmiroquai

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi! The Shelby Airflo is just plain beautiful. I love the lines and curves and i've always wanted one. So i jumped on the chance when a cheap frame and fork came up on ebay. One of the awesome members here remarked that i would have to fork out a LOT of cash to complete this project. That would be true if i were going to buy all the parts, and if i could bring myself to spend so much money on a hobby. I've done some sculpting in the past and i bought the frame with sculpting the missing parts in mind. Take note, this will just be an approximation as i'm doing everything by basically eyeballing and by hand.

First, i took a picture of the frame and fork and enlarged it to 1:1 size in Sketchup. Then i blew up a pic of an airflo using the same program and exported the 1:1 picture to Photoshop. I then traced out the tank, rack, and chainguard then superimposed them unto the pic of the bare frame for tweeking.
AIRFLO20PROJECT20copy_zpsxamtdtxr-1.jpg

I then printed out 1:1 scale templates of the parts, test fitted them to the frame, then traced them on XPS foam.
20150104_172206_zpsnfnap1z2-1.jpg

20150111_164302_zpslrhnjlo7-1.jpg

Let the sculpting commence! I also used some expanding urethane foam for enhancements / adding foam.
20150108_110327_zpsjytutcgd-1.jpg

20150108_180318_zpsopajpwnd-1.jpg

20150110_123148_zpsum1gxtke-1.jpg

Once the rough sculpts were done, they were smoothed out with layers of bondo and endless sanding. Then the details were locked in:
20150129_185644_zpsc8w62dv8-1.jpg

These were then used as bucks to make molds and rough copies were made in fiberglass. I had a friend of mine make the bars. I used the same method in sketch-up but because of some weird widescreen monitor setting, while it looked ok on the monitor, in reality it came out a bit thin and elongated. But still sexy.
20150319_165347_zpscsbtcjte-1.jpg

Another friend help to make the mounting brackets for the fiberglass casts and fit them unto the bike. Here's what i have so far:
20150324_194218_zpsmdthu3m6-1.jpg

Not perfect, but not too shabby either, IMHO.

Next up, some finishing touches, some additional parts, and paint!

Looking good, as they say "it's all in the details". Like to see it finished & also a better shot of that Colson in the background too.

Thanks, everyone! It was a labor of love. Finally found a chain that fits and took it for a spin last night. Rides great!

20150505_184827_zpsq9djmbtp-1.jpg

Back