When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tinkers Schwinn

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
The only photo me and my beloved Schwinn. Dad bought it new for my older brother I think in 51 or in 52.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Tinker, great post... I have a '59 Phantom. can't exactly tell but they might be brothers. Was there "Schwinn Phantom" on the chain guard? Are you in NJ by any chance?

Last edited:
Thanks N.J. No , I am west of Chicago. Yes that was a Phantom. In the early sixties one could buy a really nice one very cheap. The beater ones on the curb. The kids didnt want the heavy weights anymore. the toboggon runs have all been torn out. too dangerous I guess.

The Toboggan runs are all gone in Chicago? I still can not believe a bike when down it. Just being on a toboggan scared me enough.

Thanks N.J. No , I am west of Chicago. Yes that was a Phantom. In the early sixties one could buy a really nice one very cheap. The beater ones on the curb. The kids didnt want the heavy weights anymore. the toboggon runs have all been torn out. too dangerous I guess.

toboggan runs

The Toboggan runs are all gone in Chicago? I still can not believe a bike when down it. Just being on a toboggan scared me enough.
Yes Bikeman just like we see kids today jumping their BMX bikes off mountains the kids off the fifties were just as stupid only they used the old heavyweights. the toboggan run my brother went down was in the forest preserve near our house near La grange ,Ill. They would block off the top with a couple iron bars. you would have to lift your bike up over the bars[with the help of a trusted buddy]he then would sit down and hold the rear wheel of your bike, After you mounted it[ you were now at a steep angle] your pal would let go and you went down it and came off like a rocket. I went down it myself on a J C higgins . after words my handle bars didnt seem right. It was later in the day when my pal noticed that they were bent slightly down. I think in later years the forest preserve blocked off the bottom also to prevent such monkey business. Kids will always be stupid :)

No problem tinker, I enjoyed them too! I have very fond memories of going down the former slide in Deer Grove, not on a bike though... :)

I hate the world today compared to what we had. Too many times people with money get elected and have to create rules and laws to protect us from things they have never done. I could go on and on.

Back