When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Spitfire Questions Again-Here are Pictures!!

-

deedee_14

On Training Wheels
I have tried to google the numbers I found on bike parts with no luck or I have no clue what I am looking for..lol...So I am hoping someone with more knowledge than me can look at these numbers and figure out what kind of bike it is!! Thank you thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 188
A picture of the bike itself would be more helpful. Although if it isn't still in original paint, then there may be no way to actually tell what it left the factory as.
Cheers, Geoff

SA62.....crank is from 1962.....

SA.62.78 on the crank. The crank was cast in 1978

The number on the rear drop out is the part number. The left and right dropouts on a particular frame usually had the same first two digits and the last two were different.

All the numbers in the world will not tell you what model a bike was. If that is a 1978 built Schwinn then there are only a few models that it could have been. The headbadge should also have a four digit number which is the final build date.

Last edited:
Appears to be a Schwinn 1978 something with after market parts. Maybe a middle weight something or other?

Jeff54's identification was just a guess, and made by looking at the pedals. Since the bars and fenders don't belong on that bike and the chainguard was never painted (picked up later) I can take a good guess and say that none of the parts are original to that frame. All the parts were found loose in an attic so the only thing about that bike that can be verified is the serial number date. If it's actually a 78 frame it could have been a Typhoon, Heavy Duti or a Spitfire. Funny that everything including the bearing cups were removed but the kickstand stayed on and was painted with the frame?

If it's actually a 78 frame it could have been a Typhoon, Heavy Duti or a Spitfire.

Of those isn't the Spitfire the only one that is a Ballooner, and aren't those frames different? Is there somebody who can tell whether it is a Balloon frame or not by looking at the pics?

In addition to the serial number, the forged fork should have date codes on the insides of the dropouts.

Funny that everything including the bearing cups were removed but the kickstand stayed on and was painted with the frame?

I hate to see that, they aren't that hard to remove...

Of those isn't the Spitfire the only one that is a Ballooner, and aren't those frames different? Is there somebody who can tell whether it is a Balloon frame or not by looking at the pics?

Poses an interesting question. Is there a difference between ballooner or perhaps better or easier said: S-2 verses S-7 frame in the 70-80's?

Back in the day, it would seem that Schwinn began creating a universal frame. Can't say the time line but I'll guess when Schwinn seems to have undergone their first noticeable changes in cost cutting approx. 1974. Somebody would need to go through all of the catalogs to nail the date if the pictures can illustrate it well enough.

However, here in this 1978 cat. picture you can see, pretty much, Especially if you concentrate on the rear fender bracket, there's no difference between the Heavy-Duty S-7 and Spitfire S-2 frame sizing.

1978_36-1.jpg

In other catalog pictures of middleweight bikes, you can not see this bracket well enough to be sure.

Yet the heavy duty appears the same, 1981:

1981_26JPG-2.jpg

Regarding the Op's bike, we can see its fender bracket, and because the 60's and earlier middleweights (S-7's) were smaller in diameter, easily smaller by sight, verses the Heavier S-2 Bikes, there's a visible difference showing that it's not a 60's frame. .

Here's a Blue 1962 S-7 and an 1948 Green S-2:

P3280146.jpg

P3280147.jpg

Now, if you've a keen eye, the ops frame,, that bracket is not as small as an earlier middleweight, nor large as early heavy. The diameter is larger, I.E. the round pitch is not as narrow as either 50's and 60's shape. This is a good indication that Schwinn created an universal rear fender bracket. Moreover it seems that these frames can be S-2 or S-7 fit.

attachment.jpg

Schwinn claims that the heavy duty frame has extra support but I don't see anything different.. Perhaps there is a difference because at 45 pounds it's as heavy as the Spitfire 5 and cruiser 5 speeds.

Regardless, the ops frame, that rear fender bracket is not a 60's middleweight, its diameter is wider and could be any of the 70-80's bikes in which the only difference other than whether there's a weight difference between others and the heavy-duty is; which chain guard ya wanna put on it?

You could extrapolate on this when ya get into the Cruiser models however, they carried two different types of brackets. 1980 Cruiser could have had the bracket seen in the ops bike or the bracket used for cantilever brakes in the Cruiser 5. Quite possibly for the catalog in 1981, the Cruisers may have had either brackets too. Because, in 1981 Schwinn's catalogs show the cantilever brackets for all Cruiser models, yet, given the universal size anything is possible.

As seen here, a Sept 10 1980 badged Cruiser frame with rear fender bracket for cantilever brakes, while the 1980 Schwinn Cruiser catalog photos shows the same bracket as the op's and above 1981 catalog frames.

5$_57.jpg

Anyways; with exceptions in the 5 speeds, It looks like, all ya gotta do in the later 70-80's, is; pick your chain guard and wheel size THEN: nobody would be the wiser.

Last edited:
Back