When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's this worth?

-

utahcollectors

On Training Wheels
We have gained possesion of this beautiful bicycle, but have no idea what she might be worth. From my research, I believe it to be a ladies bike. It's a Huffman Dixie Flyer. It has all the original parts. Also has the original paint with hand painted pin striping, original tires, seat, etc. The only defect i can find is a small hole in the covering to the headlight. Any idea of the value?

Attachments

• 20150313_123440.jpg
    20150313_123440.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 572
  • 20150313_123459.jpg
    20150313_123459.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 569
  • 20150313_123512.jpg
    20150313_123512.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 577
  • 20150313_123519.jpg
    20150313_123519.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 570
  • 20150313_123546.jpg
    20150313_123546.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 20150313_123614.jpg
    20150313_123614.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 569
That is a real nice little surviver, unfortunately girls bikes are worth far less than the boys are. The value is usually around the amount that the parts from it can be sold for use on a boys bike. $150 seems accurate.

This is a very nice bike. Whats it worth. Depends on if you are the buyer or the seller. Asking price or selling price.
I am kind of addicted to bikes. I buy a lot of them and find homes for them.
I would only pay 35.00 for something like this. Naturally I would pull the Strut bars off and replace the light with something else. Then I would sell it. If I were trying to get 150 for that It would sit forever and maybe never sell .... I would be lucky to get 50 to 65 for it. I pass them up all the time for 35.00 to 65.00. (without the light).
I purchased a Schwinn girls bike last night, It was the same color , 1958 is the year of it and also a girls bike. I bought it at auction. I paid 7.50 for it. It has New original style tires on it. Well it sat in the rafters for 20 years with the new tires on it. In my mind I could get 35.00 for mine. Almost same bike (without light).
I am not really a seller like others. I just play around with them and put them back out for others to enjoy. I purchased a nice old Trike at same auction. Paid 1.00 cleaned it all up and sold it to a nice young family this morning for 6.00.
Big money Huh?

Have fun with it!

We have gained possesion of this beautiful bicycle, but have no idea what she might be worth. From my research, I believe it to be a ladies bike. It's a Huffman Dixie Flyer. It has all the original parts. Also has the original paint with hand painted pin striping, original tires, seat, etc. The only defect i can find is a small hole in the covering to the headlight. Any idea of the value?

My daughter or wife would ride it! I love the plain janes like that. No stinkin' rust to contend with or expensive parts to find and it would make a perfect boardwalk cruiser or for leisurely rides on the rail trail.

If it were mine i would tear it down and clean/relube all the bearings, wax the frame, and add a set of whitewalls. (I love white walls and the old tires may have some value depending upon condition and size). Juding from the condition of the paint in the photos, it will come out looking beautiful.

A bell would be a nice addition and a wicker front basket (I never did care for truss rods and make sure you get the type of basket mounting so it won't rub against the beautiful head badge which I think is a prize in itself!). And maybe a period rear carrier of some kind to carry your picnic lunch.

Go vintage and get a quality ride that will last forever (bit of hyperbole here). So as Freddie said, "get on your bikes and ride!"

dixie flyer badge.jpg

Last edited:
girls bikes

That is a really nice bike, but the fact is most of the folks in this hobby are guys and they buy the boys bikes. I have many bikes and each year I rotate them and try to ride every one that is in good condition. This takes lots of time cause I got them jammed up pretty tight , but I enjoy riding them..... but the 4 or 5 girls bikes I have never see the light of day. One I bought for my wife[the only middle weight I have] She seldom rides. The others I bought just because they caught me at a weak moment. I hate to see an old survivor get cut up for its head badge; wheels and guard..... then tossed on the curb. I have never felt good about doing this :(........I hope this beauty has a better fate.:)

Clean it, polish it, wax it, clean & lube chain, put some product on those tires, replace roached grips with new pointed ones ~ get some girl to RIDE IT ! The smile on that girl's face as her hair blows in the wind and the reactions you will get from people who notice what you have there will be priceless :cool:

You want to destroy whatever value that really nice survivor has, start stripping original parts off of it and start adding non period correct off the shelf Chinese crap.

pap

Last edited:
Back