When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iver Johnson Crank Arm

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

2jakes

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Iver Johnson crank .
qnoc1zpng-1.jpg

I have marked with an arrow the part that I need to remove.
Not sure what it's called but it has threads. I have lubricated
to make it easier to remove. But don't know if it's to the right
or left to remove & I don't want to damage it or put more scratches
by turning the wrong way. Anyone know which way to loosen this.
Thanks.

25hzqtfpng-1.jpg

It's regular right hand thread. Turn counter clock-wise to loosen .I usually use a large pair of channel lock pliers to remove.

It's regular right hand thread. Turn counter clock-wise to loosen .I usually use a large pair of channel lock pliers to remove.

Thank You !

I also have my "special" Iver Johnson tool remover like you. I even have a soft old leather around the
channel lock pliers.

It probably won't make a difference doing this....but I feel better doing it.
:o

The crank on this Iver is 1" tooth &
the rear wheel came with Morrow brakes 1" pitch.
I was thinking of using modern steel rims & tires that would come close in size to the wood rim wheels/tires.
And have this Morrow brake installed on the new rims.

Local bike shop weren't sure if this is possible. But they have never worked on older bikes. And I'm not sure
if what I'm trying to do is possible.

66j5si-1.jpg

I just service the crank on my Iver, the race was very tight on the crank and since I did not have the correct spanner I used a punch and hammer to get it loose but I have used a pipe wrench on them in the past ..leaves a few marks though.
I built the wheels using New Departure hubs with the Velocity Blunt rims " Great wheel set" as they are very smooth riding and very strong and very close in size to the original 28" wood wheels !
100_1814_zpsg0ryl56q-1.jpg

100_1811_zps50fee3bc-1.jpg

I am going to build another set with shorter spokes and longer nipples to get a closer to correct look.
Mark

You don't need longer nips. That's all that stick out of wood rims when you do use long nips.

Back