When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reapair or Replace these Rims?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

meed

On Training Wheels
Hey folks,

I'm working on a 1961 (?) JC Higgins Roadster. I am not restoring to factory spec, just doing what I feel like as I go.

Below are a few photos of the rims. The front rim has 3-4 broken spokes that will be replaced. Some steel wool and elbow grease appear to be removing most of the rust, but I'm wondering if it would just be better to get new rims and spokes? I've never relaced a wheel, but I'm confident I could figure it out eventually.
Thoughts?

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 144
I would clean them up as best, you'll have a little patina. Get the bike together & riding, then you can best evaluate the whole package, as to what upgrades to concentrate on. Take it from there, IMHO.

Pretty easy to clean those wheels if.....

Hey folks,

I'm working on a 1961 (?) JC Higgins Roadster. I am not restoring to factory spec, just doing what I feel like as I go.

Below are a few photos of the rims. The front rim has 3-4 broken spokes that will be replaced. Some steel wool and elbow grease appear to be removing most of the rust, but I'm wondering if it would just be better to get new rims and spokes? I've never relaced a wheel, but I'm confident I could figure it out eventually.
Thoughts?

.....you use 0000 steel wool and Barkeepers Friend. Make a paste with water and BK and slap it on the wheel, then rub the wheel with the steel wool lightly, and flush with water. Whatever chrome is left will shine like new!

.....you use 0000 steel wool and Barkeepers Friend. Make a paste with water and BK and slap it on the wheel, then rub the wheel with the steel wool lightly, and flush with water. Whatever chrome is left will shine like new!

Thanks, I'll search for Barkeepers. I've just been using 0000 on its own.

Back