When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about shaft drive bicycles? Are they fast? What should a buyer watch out 4?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

Sped Man

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I was thinking of buying a shaft drive bicycle but I have a few questions. These bikes are expensive and I don't want to spend a lot on a wall hanger. Are they as fast as a chain drive bicycle? Are they reliable? What should a first time buyer watch out for? What are its biggest drawbacks?

I don't know much about them, but I know enough to recommend you pick one up that is COMPLETE. No missing parts whatsoever, especially drivetrain. Good luck in your search!

There isn't one being sold locally. I would have to buy it in the blind. I hate buying something I haven't ever tried.

Buy a complete one! Make sure it works before you buy it. I've seen a lot of them that were missing internal parts. And it is very hard to piece these together. and very expensive.

I agree- get a complete one! The only inexpensive part available is a plastic reproduction rear gear cover for Columbia/Pope bikes. Also, the early models were completely different year to year BUT were higher quality machines.

I have only ridden one shaft drive bike but it was not in great shape and was very clunky in the gears so about 30 feet I got off and walked it back and I agree with the others being hard to find parts as I have been looking for a rear hub for years to complete a Pierce but the only one I found was not for sale at any price period.
Mark

Mike Wolf is on this site and I wouldn't be surprised if he owns one or did in the past. I wonder if might chime in? He hasn't signed on since Jan though.

Are you thinking of a vintage bike or a new shaft drive? Chain drive with a Shimano Nexus 7 or 8 speed Hub is also a good way to go for lots of different styles of bikes. With a shaft drive bike I would think that more of the available torque at the pedals would be used by the gears and the shaft as compared to a light weight (alloy chain ring and narrow chain) chain drive set up.

Back