When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping EMERGENCY!!!

-

partsguy

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I need some SERIOUS HELP!! A buyer and I have been going over some rare parts for a 1972-1973 Mercury Montego GT and MX. Basically, the entire front clip, save the fenders and the hood (for now, he may be buying the hood scoop portion) is being sold to a restorer in Canada. FedEx gave me a freight quote of over $1,700!

The buyer and I are somewhat in sticker shock. I was expecting maybe $1200 TOPS.

Here's the break down of the container size and weight:

72 x 32 x 22

Weight: 142lbs

Now, my question for you guys is this:

If there a cheaper alternative for the buyer and I to use? Would DHL be any better? This is way too big for the USPS, according to their website when I tried to ship a 20" Schwinn once.

Thank you all for any advice!

I would try DSL. Not sure if greyhound goes there?
I heard Canada is beautiful this time of year.maybe a road trip?

I've had to ship internationally before. It is insanity to try and ship multiple bikes via normal services as you suggest. Guy I know who have done this use shipping container services. (i have no experience in this)

However, if you can fit the parts into multiple boxes, specifically under the 108" dimensions quoted on the USPS website, the USPS international rate will drop significantly. When I shipped the Panther 3 speed chainless to Germany we were quoted 500+ when it was oversized dimensions. I took about 2 days to tetris (i.e. nest) all the parts together, and got the total size of the box down to 106". (Height+Width+Heigth+Width+Length) Final USPS shipping price was 138$ from the west coast to Germany.

Shipping international is a pain, the devil is in the dimension details.

Check out a firm called "Craters and Freighters"- I have received sticker shock and also gotten a decent bid.Look for "freight forwarders" "LTL shipping: (ltl is Less Than Trailer Load) and "freight consolidators" . I got some pretty good quotes from Roadway a few years back. Anything big is a PITA to ship.

Oh I hear you on shipping being a PITA. But when an order is big enough to finish off your summer tuition, you'll ship anything, LOL!

ok, calm down and take a deep breath! I've shipped car fenders and such, the cheapest by far if you can get them boxed a bit is greyhound. call them and get a quote.

Ship to a border city and have driven across the border then shipped from there.
Where in Canada ?
In Detroit you can cross the border in 15 min.!

Ummm - as a freight forwarder / customs broker myself ..... I can only say call or e-mail a local forwarder. Not quite sure where you are located or I could give you some specific names. Greyhound will most likely be the cheapest - but there will be quite a bit of handling ( higher likelihood of damage then ) if you go that route. It is fairly simple - the issue at hand is almost all shipping has gotten terribly expensive - though, you would think the prices would have come down with the fuel prices - LOL. That will be the day when he double toothpick freezes over.

Back